Saturday, February 12, 2011

Still Pregnant

Well, here it is...6 days past my due date. Still pregnant.

We are scheduled to be induced tomorrow evening. I am still hopeful that, by some minor miracle, the baby will decide to come on its own between now and then.

At our last doctor's appointment, we had an ultrasound, non-stress test, and regular appointment with Dr. Brown. The ultrasound showed that everything looked good: movements, heart rate, amniotic fluid level, and placenta. Baby's head was still high. The current estimated weight was 8 lbs., 15 oz., plus or minus a pound. And baby will gain an ounce a day at this point.

Non-stress test was also fine. Heart rate and movements were good--baby had the hiccups most of the time. My stomach was twitching like crazy.

During our appointment, we found out we are finally 1 cm dilated. Whoo freakin' hoo. Dr. Brown expressed some concern over the baby's size. She has said all along that she would not let us go past 41 weeks, so we went ahead and decided to schedule the induction for this Sunday/Monday (even though she'll be out of town). She warned us that first babies, big babies, and induced babies can all set us up for a c-section. We both understand that we have to do what we have to do to get the baby out, but we really want to avoid a c-section if at all possible.

Now that we are just a day away, I am getting nervous. I kind of want to cancel the induction and see if we'll go on our own, but I know that I am just putting off the inevitable. Dr. Brown has told us that after 41 weeks, the rate of stillbirth increases steadily, so we don't want to get into that danger zone. Also, the longer the baby is inside, the bigger it will grow and the greater the chance for meconium inside the amniotic sac.

So, it is best to go ahead. I've already walked the dogs a few miles this morning. I think I'll find some lunch and take another walk this afternoon. Almost there...

No comments:

Post a Comment