Tuesday, June 26, 2012

A Return to Louisville Nature Center

We took a hike at the Louisville Nature Center this morning (before the heat wave arrives later in the week). First, we visited the Bird Blind:
 Hey! You're not a bird!
It's a raccoon, if you can't see it well.
 
 Nibbling all the way back home
 (I think he lives under the building.)
 Something big? With wheels? To move around? Why not?
 No, THAT way, Lewis!
Hiking didn't go so well. I'd put him down on the trail and try to point to something in the distance to go check out, but he just kept turning back and wanted to go the opposite direction. I tried carrying him a bit and plopping him deeper into the woods, but he just kept trying to walk back. Sooo, luckily I'd brought our backpack carrier (that I've so far only practiced using inside).
 Ready for action!
My enthusiasm was gone after about five minutes of having him on my back. He is HEAVY! And this carrier put all of the weight on my shoulders instead of my hips (the hip belt rode way high, so I need to see if it's adjustable or if this is just not made for tall people). I also forgot to pick up a map and am not familiar with these trails (go outdoor lover, go), but we made it out. My shoulders are still killing me, but that's okay. Next time (assuming it isn't approaching 100 degrees and I can't stand the closeness), I might try the Ergo. I tried the jogging stroller on this trail last summer, but had to turn back because the trail was so narrow. Or, maybe he'll decide he can walk. :) But then we get into poison ivy and stinging nettles and all that business.

1 comment:

  1. he looks so comfy in your backpack, I hope it's adjustable.

    ReplyDelete