Thursday, October 8, 2015

Lewis the Truest, Vol. XXI

After throwing a football around with Kevin in the basement for a good five minutes, Lewis proclaimed he wanted to 'take a rest,' as he does when he's tired. Then, after about 15 seconds of resting on the couch beside me:


Lewis: (shrugs) I still have some energy. (in the most defeated tone possible
                             Do you still have some energy, Dad? (again, sounding so pooped, but                                                       wanting to get rid of that last little bit of energy he had left)

If only we had as much energy as Lewis does at any given moment of the day. :) (At least that's how I feel.)

----------

We went to two events last weekend where there was trick-or-treating, so Lewis has amassed a small collection of candy that he keeps sneaking into.


Lewis: (whispering) Mom, I have a surprise for you.
Me: Oh, you DO?
Lewis: Yeah, it's in my pocket.
Me: Okaaay.
Lewis: (hands me a candy bar)
Me: Oh, thanks, buddy!
Lewis: No, it's mine. OPEN IT!

He must have sensed that I was mildly disappointed about the candy, he said, 'Oh, let me get another one for you!' and quickly ran into the other room and grabbed another. I was not his first thought, but that's okay. ;) It was sweet, even after the fact.

----------

We have a behavior chart on the fridge that we have not been very consistent with. It started out of Lewis wanting a toy at the store--I was getting sick of him throwing a fit and wanting a toy every time we went to Target, so I told him maybe we could 'earn' a toy through good behavior. 

Again, we haven't been consistent with it, so I'm sure the point will be lost on him. Regardless, we have a chart, and he has been working towards a Piston Peak Air Attack Training Set (from Planes: Fire and Rescue) for months now. He has to earn 15 stickers from having a good dinner (staying in his seat, eating well without a fight, etc.).


Lewis: Can I get the Piston Peak Air Attack Training Set?
Me: Have you earned all of your stickers?
Lewis: No.
Me: You need two more stickers, right?
Lewis: Yeah, let's go put those on there (in a really sneaky whisper of a voice).

Like, your point, Mom? Let's just put the stickers on, and BAM, the toy is mine. It's as simple as that, Mom.

----------

I put Lenore to bed while Kevin puts Lewis to bed, and Kevin has very sweetly started to have an end-of-the-day conversation with Lewis to recap their days. Like, 'How was your day?' and 'What did you do?' Kevin said Lewis is slowly starting to give more information. Tonight was the best yet:

Kevin: Did you get to play outside?
Lewis: I played on the playground with Koko.
Kevin: Oh, yea? What did you play?
Lewis: Married.
Kevin: Oh yea? (cracking up on the inside) Did you hold hands?
Lewis: Yea.

I can just imagine the tone in his voice. Part serious contemplation/part mild defeat (like she made him play). Koko and Lewis have been in the same class for two years now, and I guess they are getting closer. Last year, he was pretty close with Lily, but she's in a different class this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment