We have been listening to Christmas music since November 1st--that's when one of the radio stations made the switch to playing it 24 hours/day, and Lew is a big fan. Every time we get in the car, 'Is this the Christmas station?' They've also been practicing at school for their Christmas program, so he's been walking around the house, singing:
Lewis: Sa-hyan-ta Claus is comin' to town, Sa-hyan-ta Claus is comin' to town...
He belts it out with the sweetest Southern twang. He has made up the words to a few songs, as well. I'm very much looking forward to the Christmas program.
----------
We went out to a Christmas train exhibit last weekend, and on the way home, Kevin was reading a few parts from the brochure for the place we visited:
Kevin: They have over a mile of hiking trails, passing through woodlands and a beaver dam.
Lewis: A BEAVER DAY-UM?
It was hilarious at the time for Kevin and I.
----------
On the way home from the train exhibit, we were driving through a wooded area.
Me: See how all of the trees have lost their leaves except for the bright yellow-green shrubs? Isn't that interesting? Those shrubs are invasive and aren't supposed to be there--they are bush honeysuckle. That's what I worked to remove when I volunteered with the Olmsted people.
(a second of silence)
Lewis: Are you talking to me, Mom?
Kevin: Yea, I was wondering the same thing!
Me: Nevermind...I'll just keep these things to myself.
It was funny and pretty typical of most days--I feel like I'm talking to a wall. ;)
----------
Last night at dinner, I served the kids some chicken and steamed carrot sticks. Lewis was already eating his carrots, so I put some more on his plate.
Mama: Did you know that carrots help you see better?
Lewis: Why?
Mama: They have beta-carotene in them, which makes your vision sharper.
Lewis: Oh.
Mama: That's why rabbits have such good eyesight--they like to eat carrots. They rely on their eyesight to look out for predators, their large ears to listen for predators, and then they use their strong legs to run away quickly, if needed. (I'm sure he stopped listening after the first sentence...)
A few minutes later, he was attempting to eat an entire handful at the same time.
Lewis (with his mouth full): I'm eating a hundred of them!
Mama: Ohh, your eye sight should be really sharp, then.
Lewis (after chewing and swallowing): How long does it take to tell the difference?
Mama: I don't know--does anything look sharper or clearer to you?
Lewis (looking around): No.
Mama: Well, I guess we'll just have to keep eating more carrots!
It was so cute. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment