I have a notebook in my car where I jot these down, and I have fallen behind on typing them up. This one might be longer than usual, and most of them involve a Christmas theme.
I think I posted this on facebook, but I don't think I posted it here. We were driving in the car one day, and he asked:
Lewis: Mooom. Are all of the roads in the world connected to Louisville?
I thought it was a very high level of thinking for a young guy. Despite oceans and islands unreachable by bridges, I told him that we could probably drive from one end of the continent to the other. It really got me thinking--I love questions like that, especially coming from Lewis.
----------
Before Christmas, amidst our all-Christmas-radio-music, all-the-time phase:
Lewis: sniff sniff sniff, sniff sniff sniff
Me: sniff sniff sniff
Lewis: NO! I'M DOING THAT!
Me: Oh, I thought I'd sniff to see what you were sniffing.
Lewis: NO, I'm singing Jingle Bells with my nose!
Me: Ohhhh!
Hysterical.
----------
On our way home from picking out our Christmas tree this year, we were driving along the same road where Kevin had gotten pulled over a few years ago (on the way TO picking up our Christmas tree). I think the speed limit drops from 40 to 25 or 30 mph, and he didn't drop his speed. The officer did not give us a ticket, just a verbal warning, and we were telling Lewis about it on our way to pick out the tree this year. So on the way home:
Lewis: Dad got a speeding ticket here a few years ago. How did you escape jail, Dad?
:) He's on a police and jail kick right now. It was just cute and a teachable moment.
----------
After his Christmas party at school, he brought home a goody bag that had a small notepad in it. He asked for a pen and was jotting things down on his 'Christmas List.' When he was done, there were a bunch of squiggles on the page:
Me: Did you write out what you want for Christmas?
Lew: Yes.
Me: What does it say?
Lew: A digger. A fire truck with a ladder and remote control. A remote-controlled airplane. The Polar Express. A biplane. A hovercraft. A new bath toy. Another remote-controlled airplane. And a slide.
Me: Oh, my!
He had decided months ago that he wanted a digger that he saw at Costco, and he stood firm all along (even as I tried to talk him out of it because I thought he might be too big for it). Alas, it was all he wanted, so it was what he got. I don't know where he came up with some of that other stuff. A hovercraft? Where would he have even seen one of those? Grandma and Grandpa T. did find him a cool remote-controlled plane (for which we need to order new propellers because we have crashed too many times and broken the two or three replacement propellers already). :)
----------
Walking out of a store somewhere, Lewis screamed, loudly (which he has been doing occasionally, but I've been ignoring him):
Lewis: SCREAM!
Me: Lewis, stop the screaming.
Lewis: Actually, I'm an eagle.
Me: Well, in that case...
Again, how does he know what an eagle sounds like? I bet his birds-of-prey-loving cousin, Juniper, is going to love making eagle sounds with him next week (we're going for a visit). We'll have to make sure they're either outside or in a separate room where we don't have to hear them at 100% volume. :)
----------
And just this evening, as we were snuggling in the front seat of the car in the garage while Lenore was napping in the back seat (he was sitting on my lap...there was a lot of closeness going on, let me tell you):
Lewis: Open your mouth! (done, hesitantly) I can see your jewelries! (His word for fillings, which is darling.)
Then he hugged me and said:
Lew: I love you, Mom. Can we stay like this forever?
He can be so sweet. He can also be so not sweet, but for tonight, he was sweet.
No comments:
Post a Comment