Wednesday, March 22, 2017

More Updates on Mama's Health, Job, and Not Driving

I didn't realize it's been a month since I last wrote, but I guess I will write again.

I saw the neurologist on February 28, but he had no answers for me. He said since I have no family history of epilepsy, it's confusing to him. I seem to be too old and too young to have newly-occurring seizures, so they are scheduling me for a longer study. The sleep-deprived EEG I did last month came back normal and my CT was normal, so they don't seem overly concerned.

It took almost a month to get in with the epilepsy specialist, and now it will be another month or more (from that appointment) until they get me in for the next test. I will check into the hospital and stay for 2-3 nights with constant monitoring to see if they can figure out why/how/where I had the seizure. They will try to trigger something through sleep deprivation, stress, being off the seizure medicine, etc. I was warned three times by the doctor that it will be boring, but I really don't think he knows what it's like to be a parent of two children. Boring sounds like a vacation to me. Bring it on, I say.

In the meantime, I'm supposed to work on getting enough sleep, lowering stress, limiting alcohol/caffeine, and eating more protein in smaller meals throughout the day (to help keep my energy/mood up so I can better deal with the stress). Again, the children. :)

Life without being able to drive is going ok, I suppose. I think we are at the halfway point now, or near to it. I've ordered a bike with a trailer (for Lenore) to help get the kids and I places a little more quickly, which should help. Lewis is doing track, which is pretty low-stress, but we have practice to get to at 5:30 two nights a week. I get him from the bus around 4:10 (plus a 5-10 minute walk home from the bus stop and a 30 minute walk to school), so that doesn't leave us much time for dinner and homework in between or after. (Sometimes Kevin gets there during practice to take us home.)

I have had very generous friends/neighbors give me rides to Costco, Kroger, etc. I have started a weekend routine of walking to Kroger (about 1.5 miles away), shopping on my own, then texting Kevin when I'm checking out so he can come pick me up (with a cart full of groceries). It has worked out well, so far, especially in giving me the feeling of independence. I hate to feel like I'm inconveniencing anyone or that anyone is waiting for me. I also had a visit from Adie during her spring break--we went to the zoo and she picked me up from school one day. My mom has come down to stay a few times to help shuttle us around and give Kevin a break.

I also decided to resign from my job last week. We had to move locations mid-year because of issues from the church we were inhabiting, and Kevin was driving Lenore and I to school in the morning and picking us up during his lunch break. Our neighbors were getting Lewis to the bus stop the 3 mornings a week when Kevin was taking us to school/work. Anyway, the job. I'd been voicing my concerns at the new location, and eventually it got to the point where the stress of staying was outweighing any benefit of staying. I pulled Lenore out, as well, because I felt a little betrayed/wary by the judgement of the people making the decisions after some discussions I had.

She is registered at a new preschool (as of a few weeks ago), just up the street from our house, so I'm looking forward to a fresh start for her. She still has 3 years of preschool since she has an October birthday, so I'm looking forward to getting to know a new place. I think she will go 3 days, with one being a normal 3-hour day and two being longer 6-hour days. I might try to find an administrative assistant job on those two longer days if I can find something that works just right. Or I could send her 3 days at only 3 hours and use the time to clean/exercise/shop/etc. We'll see how the next 6 months unfold, I guess.

I did get approved to ride a special bus the other day--it's through the city's bus system, but it's a door-to-door service for $3 a ride (Lenore is free). The nearest bus stop is 1.5 miles from our house, which could be doable, but I have to lug Lenore, her stroller, a car seat, backpack, etc. with us on that journey and then have a place to put it on the bus. The special bus comes right to our house and takes us to a pre-arranged location (I have to call to set it up the day before). I'd still have to bring a car seat along for Lenore (and then take it out at our destination, I guess?), so I'm not sure if it would be worth it or not. I've considered joining the Y so we'd have a place to go a few days a week now that we're home 5 days/week, but I'm not sure if the money (and hassle of riding the bus) is worth it or not. Walking the neighborhood has been working out well enough for now. We'll see.

My longer test was supposed to be next weekend (March 31-April 2 or 3), but they're 'reworking the schedule' and are supposed to call this week to let me know my testing dates. I kind of doubt I'll get in next weekend since it's just a week away, but I guess it could happen.

My SISTER is coming to visit next weekend over the end of her spring break and beginning of ours. She will either be hanging at the hospital with me (if I have my test) or helping me around the house. I'm so excited to see her--it's been since last June that I saw her (my Christmas trip to Boise with the kids fell through). I know she will be a big help in tackling some house projects that need tackling.

No comments:

Post a Comment