Friday, May 5, 2017

Well, This Week Sucks

Monday of this week, I finally met with the cardiologist, referred by my neurologist. He looked at my test results from my time in the EMU (the Holter monitor and Echo), and he said that everything looks great/normal/not alarming. His theory was that I was up and down, running around (which I was, for 36 hours leading up to February 4th), dehydrated, and that I passed out. Simple as that, he didn't see anything wrong with me and sent me on my way. Cleared by him and the neurologist a few weeks earlier, I decided to go ahead and let myself drive a few days before I'd planned. I drove home from the cardiologist, then to run errands at like 7 different places (sweet freedom). After getting Lewis from the bus stop, I went over to pick-up Lenore from the in-laws and back home. Tuesday, I drove to the zoo (with a neighbor) to chaperone the Kindergarten class trip. Tuesday night, we had dinner with the neighbors, and I very clearly remember basking in my new freedom, once again. Summer time. Freedom. Fun.

Then Wednesday happened.

I woke up at my normal time, went downstairs, made coffee, and sat with Lewis and talked of our plan for the evening (he wanted to go down to see the Belle of Louisville race in the Great Steamboat Race, part of the Kentucky Derby Festival activities this week). I had my two cups of coffee while waiting for Kevin to get ready for the day, then he and I switched places. As I sat down to use the restroom, I realized there was no toilet paper, so I yelled at Kevin to bring me some. The next thing I remember, I was on the floor, with Kevin telling me I had another episode. I seem to have stood up and went head first into the tub (based on the bruises on my ear and side of my head). Kevin moved me to the ground, put me on my side, and put a pillow under my head.

He called my doctor, I believe, and they said to bring me on in. While I was in the ER, I had another episode in front of the nurses and nurse practitioner. I don't remember any of it, just feeling verrrrrry tired afterwards. They've kept me on the same medicine for now, just a higher dose (750mg 2x/day instead of 500mg). I have pretty spotty memories from Wednesday--who I talked to, what was said, etc.

I already had a follow-up appointment on the calendar with my neurologist on Monday, so I'm really anxious to hear what he has to say. His supposed 'gold standard' of testing showed nothing, so I'm wondering what other tests are out there. There is a tilt test that the cardiologist mentioned (as did the neurologist when he was hypothesizing that it could be heart-related), which involves tilting me different ways to see what happens to my blood pressure.

All I know is, I can't drive until August 1, which feels like the entire summer. Just when I was getting my freedom back (day 88 of 90). It's hard not to be bummed about it, but I guess we'll do what we do and make the most of it. We will continue to walk and ride our bikes and go for hikes in the woods. Lewis's school is just over a mile from our house, so we'll probably be there a lot this summer. It's just such a bummer. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment