When planning out our week last week, I could have sworn I saw that there was a high of 72 degrees on Thursday. I even thought they said that again on the news that morning, so Lewis and I went to the zoo, dressed only in light jackets. Very quickly I realized that the forecast had changed, and the high was only going to be in the 50s. That also meant the train and carousel weren't running (the train wasn't open for the season yet and the carousel apparently doesn't run until it reaches 45 degrees outside). Thankfully Lew wasn't too bummed about them being unavailable.
There's a new exhibit of giant bugs located all around the zoo. There was a family getting their pictures taken in front of this huge spider, so Lewis asked to have his taken, too. :)
Creepy and Crawly
They use animatronics and make just enough subtle movements to be slightly creepy.
One thing we don't always do is pet the goats, but Lewis wanted to this time:
I wasn't fast enough to get a picture of it, but this was a few seconds after Lewis leaned down to give this goat a hug. :)
This one was my favorite--it was just a particularly sweet goat.
Onto Glacier Run to see the polar bear and sea lions:
Checking out the cool old truck
Cracking up at the sea lions
He was cackling as they swam by him and came up for air. He doesn't usually pay much attention to them, but this time they were hilarious to him.
As we were leaving, we passed by the new ropes course, which DID happen to be open. Lewis saw it and said, 'Do that!,' so I decided to let him try it since there wasn't a line. They have a high ropes course for adults and kids over 4 feet tall and a low one for those under 4 feet. Lewis got all harnessed up and walked towards the BIG stairs that lead up to the high course...one of these days, buddy! The low course was pretty simple, but Lewis seemed to be challenged enough by it and had a good time (I walked alongside him the whole time):
Getting harnessed up
His biggest challenge at first was figuring out how to keep that big black rope out in front of him. I helped him at first, but he got the hang of it towards the end of the time. There was a track system up above that he was connected to, so anytime he wanted to go on an obstacle, we had to move the rope into the correct slot before he could begin walking.
Crossing a bridge
There were some easy and some more difficult obstacles--he did fine on the bridge and the basic balance beam but didn't catch on at first to the tougher ones where he had to be more careful about where he placed his feet.
It was a chilly trip, but still fun. The following day (Friday) ended up being in the low 70s, I think, so we went to the playground that day. And yesterday was gorgeous--I got some yard work done and we had a bonfire and cooked hoboes, which is always nice. This week is supposed to be in the 40s, but Lewis and I are heading to Boise--at last check, it will be near 60 there. :) Wahoo--I'll take it!
No comments:
Post a Comment