This weekend's weather was gorgeous--highs near 60 and sunny! I had a volunteer event to attend Saturday morning (with the Olmsted Parks Conservancy), so Kevin suggested he and Lewis tag along to play at the playground while I worked. Afterward, we had a picnic at the park--it was so nice! We really haven't spent much time at Iroquois Park since it's on the other side of town, but we will go back. The amphitheater looks like a really cool place to see a concert, and Kevin and I both reminisced about our Frolf-ing days (apparently that's one way to say Frisbee golfing) back when we lived in Bloomington. Maybe one of these days we'll get our 'bees out again and try out the course at Iroquois. :)
Kevin took some pictures of their time at the playground, so here are some of their adventures:
Listening to water flowing underground
Running away :)
Sitting at the rocking table (with some other kiddos)
Kev said the playground was pretty well-suited for big and little kids. There were a few bigger/more challenging things that Lewis tried to get on, so he had to keep a close eye out that he didn't fall/hurt himself.
Picnic time:
We brought along his clip-on chair which worked perfectly at the picnic table. It was a really nice, peaceful spot to have lunch. Behind us was a trail in the woods, and two different groups of horses (and riders) passed by while we were eating. It was neat to see that in the city.
Hooray for picnics at the park!
We went over to Kevin's parents house for dinner Saturday to celebrate Uncle Scott's birthday (happy birthday!), and then Sunday morning we tackled our yard.
I worked out front while Kevin and Lewis worked in the backyard. Their main task was to empty the compost barrel, put the compost onto the raised bed, and start a fresh batch of compost. Kevin said Lewis was actually pretty helpful with helping him load the barrel and spinning it. They also dug up some liriope and split it for me to replant in the front bed.
And damn if I didn't cut through the #%&*@^$ extension cord with the hedge trimmer. Every.damn.year it seems I do that. So, Kev and Lew also ran to Home Depot for a new extension cord. :) I didn't get around at a second attempt of cutting back the liriope and shrubs, so that is a big-ish task we'll have for the next nice day.
Giving the new compost a spin
Shoveling the compost into the raised bed :)
Spreading it around
And then bringing the tarp over to help load up the liriope for Mama. :)
I'm telling you--if we can harness this helpfulness, it could really work in our favor! He really is a good little helper (in most circumstances). :)











he looks like such a good little worker! He seems to know just what he's doing. Did you get your hair cut? it's cute
ReplyDeleteThanks--I got it cut last week.
DeleteAnd yes, he is pretty good with helping outdoors (b/c there is more space to roam and not make a mess or get in the way). Thankfully he likes being outdoors--I'm looking forward to him helping me with the garden this summer. :)