Thursday, July 11, 2013

I Hate Naptime and Attack of the Cabbage Worms

Once again, I've spoken too soon.

After two sort of successful days of naps (an hour one day, an hour and fifteen minutes the second day), we're now on our 2nd day without a nap. I'm trying to stay optimistic, but the end-of-the-day meltdowns from non-napping are killer. Especially when combined with dogs barking, phones ringing, dinner needing cooked, etc. My least favorite time of day.

Thank God for pie (and beer) in times like these:
Blueberry
Truth be told, I made this pie a few weeks ago now when the blueberries were fresh, and it was amazing. We didn't eat it fast enough, though, and it got soggy. Next time, pie consumption must increase to daily. Might need to double up some days. Kevin?

Now onto the garden...things aren't looking so hot. We've got worms. Not sure what kind they were, I did some Googling that just about made me sick. Anywho, I think they are cabbage worms. And you know how you walk by something every day and don't always look at it? Well, apparently I haven't looked at our Brussels sprouts or broccoli in a little while (either that, or the worms are very efficient creatures)...
Bye, bye Brussels sprouts 
Bye, bye Broccoli
I dug them out and carefully picked out every remaining worm I could find, so hopefully they're gone with the plants.
 
This morning, before removal 
And after
Lewis was super happy to have more dirt area to drive his trucks through. Like, thankyouverymuch, I'll take it from here, Ma. I have dirt to move and plants to destroy. :) (He's actually very good about not crushing the plants.)

I also pulled the peas last week because they were starting to look bad. It's hard to see, but the 2nd batch is coming up on both sides of the trellis in the lower left corner of the bed. I also added some more rows of green beans amongst the mass of green in the upper right corner--we've had a really good green bean harvest so far this year! They are very large and taste good. We've had them on the grill, sauteed/steamed, and in stir fry (with our peas, too). I was trying to include something from the garden every night, but now I'm shooting for 2 nights a week. It's kind fun and has made meals a little bit easier to come up with.

I had 2 tomatoes last week, but they both had black spots on the bottom of them. There are some fatties (and a bunch of cherry tomatoes) that should be ripening up soon, so hopefully they are edible. I made a double batch of pesto last week (2/3 of which went in the freezer), so I hacked the heck out of the basil to get enough leaves. It is finally recovering and will probably be ready to cut again by the beginning of next week.


Lewis is going to camp for 3 days next week, and I can't wait! Hopefully they run him to the ground (with fun, of course) so he'll take naps! :) One can hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment