Sunday, October 12, 2014

Trunk or Treat/Halloween 2014

When I asked Lewis what he wanted to be for Halloween this year, he first said a tractor. I asked him again a few days later, and he said a plane, specifically a blue airplane. I gave him a few more days to make sure he wasn't changing his mind, and then I got to work on researching ideas. I came across this design and decided to recreate the look as best as I could. He found one of his toy planes the other day, and he has since been saying that he's a fighter jet, so I guess we'll go with that for now.

The whole thing probably cost less than $20, plus about 5-6 hours of work on my part. I save boxes, so those were free, of course, and I got the blue duct tape at Dollar Tree (I used about 1 1/2 rolls of blue) and used just a little bit of black and gray that I already had on hand for the propeller and wheels (and attached those with zip ties). Other than some heavy duty scissors, it was pretty simple to put together (though I had to stretch some brain muscles to make the cuts at the correct-ish angles). I was going to make a hat until I found this one on eBay for only $6 with no shipping. I found the bomber jacket at a consignment sale, also for $6, I think. It's a bit small (2/3T), but we made it work. I also spent a few dollars on some strap material I strung through the top of the box to hold the plane up on his shoulders.

I love it, and I think Lewis was happy with how it turned out:

 Ready to fly
Blurry, but that's a this-is-awesome face. :)

Whee!

We went to Trunk or Treat last night at his school--the first hour was pizza, and the second hour was trick-or-treating. Walking up the stairs took a little hand-holding, and he fell forward (once) and backward (once) and needed help returning to standing (which made me crack up). Otherwise, he managed pretty well! We took off the plane through dinner and for him to run around with his buddies, of course.
 This was his 'touch down' while we were waiting in line
 Snacking, post-pizza and pre-candy
 Trick-or-Treat!
He's asked if he can go again, so hopefully we aren't in the hospital with a baby on Halloween! :)
 He accidentally bumped a few kiddos with his wings, but just gently. He also ran into doorways getting in/out of school, which was pretty funny.
Caaaandy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment