Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Four Months Old!!

Monkey is FOUR months old! He went to the doctor today--had a good check-up. He did cry a little from his vaccinations AND because it was time to eat, but he was a trooper!


Four Months

His stats:
Head Size: 17 3/4 inches (greater than the 97th percentile)
Weight: 17 pounds, 7.5 ounces (17.5 pounds) (90th percentile)
Length: 27 inches (97th percentile)--they seemed surprised that he's grown 3 inches in 2 months
BMI: 16.88 (I didn't know they did BMI for babies)

They said that he is proportionate and staying steady on his growth curve--because of that and because breastfeeding is still going well, we are going to hold off on solids for now. The doctor said we can start practicing feeding between now and our next appointment (at six months) if we'd like (mixing up rice cereal with breastmilk and letting him practice eating from a spoon and swallowing). The AAP also just came out a few months ago saying babies should only have breastmilk (or formula) for the first 6 months (instead of 4-6 like before), so we'll probably wait until closer to six.

What he's doing this month:
  • Sleeping in big boy pajamas/sleepers (no more swaddle sacks!)
  • Sitting well in his Bumbo (and tolerating it for longer periods of time)
  • LOVING his Jumperoo--he morphs into a wild animal!
  • Laughing!
  • Is ticklish on his belly (Kevin just discovered that today...his laugh is highly contagious!)
  • Rolling from his back to front (BOTH ways as of a few days ago). And he has done a barrel roll accidentally a few times where he gets too much momentum and goes back to front to back in one swift motion. He looks at me like, "What just happened?"
  • He is HEAVY! I almost switched out his infant car seat for his convertible one the other day because heave ho-ing him in and out of the car is starting to wear on my back. I realized that he isn't able to sit up in a cart yet, so he needs the infant seat for Target/Kroger runs. Of course, I could also put him in his Ergo for such trips. We'll see--he is just big.
Also, I've been going through his drawers this week to make sure I've gathered all of his newborn through 3-6 mos. clothes (if they no longer fit him) to go into storage. I found these hats that I'd made before Lewis was born (before we knew that he was a he)...I have a few pictures of him wearing his 'Lewis' hat in the hospital, but you can't read the name. And now his head is too big, so oh well. They'll be in his memory box.



Harper Adele or Lewis Pete??

3 comments:

  1. adele is totally my girl name too! sheesh glad we both had boys. i can't believe how fantastic and huge lewis is - huck is only 16 pounds.

    we just switched from the infant to the convertible car seat and he LOVES the difference, i think he was getting a little cramped in there, but it's a pain in the a** when he falls asleep in it - i just sit in the car and read until he wakes up. so i guess it's not too bad.... i use a wrap at the grocery anyway so that wasn't a hard transition.

    anyway, i just love lewis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really?! Adele? No way! A girl in my mom group was going to use Harper if they had a girl, but she, too, had a boy (Jackson). I'm glad it all worked out for all us! Fresh search for us next time.

    And Huck's convertible car seat comfort reminded me--Lewis' toes are totally hanging off the end of his infant seat, too. I know I read that is okay, but I've been conscious of them and am trying to avoid bumping them into things. Maybe I will go ahead and make the switch. Although, the sleeping thing...hmm.

    I haven't really used the carrier for an extended amount of time yet, so perhaps I will start integrating it more into our day to get him used to it. He loved the Moby, tolerates the Baby Bjorn, but has fussed in the Ergo. I think when we tried it, his legs weren't quite long enough yet, so his hips and knees got kind of splayed out uncomfortably. We'll work on it.

    We love Huck, too. I can't wait for him and Lewis to meet one of these days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 17 lbs?!?! Wow! Abram was 15 lb 12 oz at his appt...can't remember the length, but that percentile was still high...he's long and skinny! Doesn't sound like anyone I know...

    ReplyDelete