Monday, August 29, 2011

An Extra Day

As I mentioned, Kevin took today off so that I could go to the dentist this morning (oh, the joy)--it was really nice to have him around for an extra day.

As I was leaving the dentist, Kate texted saying that she was meeting (Ironman) Christina and her husband, Ryan, for lunch right up the street from our house and invited me to join...sooooo, I went home, pumped, and grabbed Lewis for lunch and to congratulate Christina for completing the Ironman yesterday! We had a great time--Lewis, you don't know it, but you just had lunch with an amazingly dedicated and talented athlete (unlike your mama...hahahaha). :) But seriously, I'm so happy for her and for what she accomplished yesterday. Her time was 15:17. Amazing.

So, we have been feeding cereal once a day for the past two weeks, gradually feeding more and gradually making it thicker. We decided it was time last night to go ahead and bump it up to twice a day and to add his first vegetable in with it--carrots!
What is this, mama?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I don't like this. I might just puke on you (he did lurch a few times).
My first sippy cup, too?!?!
(I felt bad and thought it might help him wash down the nastiness.)

He still seemed displeased with it this morning, so this evening I gave it to him with oatmeal mixed in instead of rice cereal, and he happily took it all! So maybe it was just the rice/carrot combo that he didn't like?

I had a nice pocket of time this afternoon when Lewis was napping to work on the yard sale slide I found on Saturday. I had to remove a few old stickers, wipe it down well, and tighten down some screws, and now it is ready for Lewis action! We already had a workout mat that fits perfectly at the end of the slide for now while Lewis is still young and less in control of his sliding capabilities. :)
Whee!

I think he will have a lot of fun with it. I hope so, at least. We plan to spend a LOT more time in the basement (where the slide is, where the carpet is) now that Lewis has mobilized. Upstairs we have hardwoods, and he gets into electrical cords, the firewood stack, dog toys, dog hair, etc. Downstairs is definitely a more Lewis-friendly area. The dogs agree.
Peter likes it...
As does Hattie Lou.
We spent some time down there today. Here is Lewis, working on the belly crawl (he's getting fast!). At the end, I caught him doing what he's been doing lately--heading teeth-first into the coffee table and then gnawing little scratches all along in the wood. I don't mind the scratches, but I don't want him to knock out his teeth in the process. :/


And here are Lewis and Kevin racing...Hattie interrupts, of course, but you can still see most of the action, I think. And the strange noises at the end are Peter and Hattie wrestling in the background, in case it isn't obvious.

Mama, I am SO sure.
(I saw this and figured I will see it again in 13-15 years. Lord, help me.)

So that was our wonderful, extended weekend! This week is the mega and awesome consignment sale...yay, yay, and yay. We are heading up to my parents' house next weekend for their Labor Day picnic. Then the following week, Lewis and I are Boise-bound! Wahoo! Hope everyone had a nice weekend.

4 comments:

  1. He is really motoring right along! And Hattie isn't even afraid?!?! Maybe his gradual evolution to movement was all she needed. I am sure I don't have to remind you how much she seemed to hate my darling daughter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be the gradual evolution to movement, as you say. She has been surprisingly tolerant of him crawling towards her--no growls yet (sorry, Juniper...we'll have to introduce them again). I also try to make sure she doesn't feel cornered, and we've been working with her and Peter on being petted, letting Lewis gently pull on each of them, etc. So far, so good. She will stay surprisingly close if we are saying 'good girl' and petting her also. And she still loves to come lay next to us when Lewis is nursing. She wants to be close, just not too close. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing progress on that floor. I would say yuck too by the way if I ate carrots and rice cereal together! Did you try just the carrots by themselves? Yummy and sweet! he's growing up so fast- can't wait to see for myself

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I will try to separate the vegetable out from the rice or oatmeal...we tried sweet potato this morning, and I had to throw most of it out because he just isn't as interested. If I can at least get him to eat the cereal and a few bites of veggies, that seems better. Then my precious pumped breastmilk won't go to waste as well.

    ReplyDelete