This is me, trying to be concise. :) We had a great time, and I could go on and on about it, but here are the highlights.
Thursday
Drove up to Cincinnati area. Hotel.
Made it all night in the pack n play this time!
(Last time he slept in one, he was up 2-3 times, and it messed him up for weeks to follow.)
Friday
Flights went well!
A little sleepy, but ready to fly!
Thanks for the cool aviator t-shirt, Auntie Em.
Snoozing on his mama
Arrived in Bangor, via Detroit.
Drove to Millinocket.
Lakeside cabin at Big Moose Inn.
Dipping his toes in the water
Hot dogs, beer, and s'mores.
Saturday
Dad and Kevin to Appalachian Trail for 10 mile hike.
Mom, Lewis, and I hiked 2.5 (and bumped into Dad and Kevin).
Painted rock just outside of Baxter State Park
Lunch at Appalachian Trail Cafe.
Drove to house in Winter Harbor.
Sunday
Laying out on blanket in yard. Reading. Walking on rocks.
Sea kayaking. Bald eagle.
Schoodic Point (part of Acadia National Park).
Lobster and steak dinner.
Beer and Scrabble.
Monday
Woke up to sounds of lobster fishermen in harbor. And waves. And sea gulls.
Foggy.
Clear day on the top - foggy day on the bottom.
6 hours to L.L. Bean (should have taken 3). Lewis stops, lunch stop, traffic.
Lunch on the water in Damariscotta.
Wild man, glad to be out of the car for a little bit!
L.L. Bean stop #1 (flagship store) and #2 (outlet store).
The Bean Boot
Back to house (3 hours).
Tuesday
Farmer's Market and shopping in Winter Harbor for Mom, Lewis, and I.
Ellsworth for shopping in the afternoon. L.L. Bean stop #3 (outlet). Goodwill stop #1.
Beer and Scrabble.
Wednesday
Bar Harbor for breakfast and shopping.
Ran across these socks in a shop in B.H. -- made in Helmsburg, IN.
Acadia and lunch.
Mom and Lew at Sand Beach, Dad and I at Thunder Hole, Dad and Kevin living on the edge at Thunder Hole, and Dad and Lewis on Cadillac Mountain.
Shopping on way home.
Blueberry pie and vanilla bean ice cream.
Beer and Scrabble.
Thursday
Dolphins in harbor.
Beach-combing.
A lobster claw, Kevin up at the high tide mark (I took it from down at the low tide mark), the house at low tide, and Dad finishing his round-the-island trek.
Dad walked around the entire island next to us, and he came out with some pretty impressive muck on his feet and legs. Kind of looks like he is wearing those new toe shoes.
My treasures -- lots of glass, one whole bottle, a few shells, a piece of driftwood, a large nail, a piece of metal, a sea urchin (whose spines were still moving!), and a really neat piece of pottery.
Bicycling through Acadia (me - 8 miles, Kevin - 12 miles).
Me (duh) - feigning happiness (I didn't really enjoy the riding aspect, though I did enjoy the scenery), Kevin (duh), Great Blue Heron far away, and Great Blue Heron up close.
Sea kayaking.
Kevin and I went for one last spin around the neighboring island, as did Mom and Dad.
Beer and Scrabble.
Friday
Packed up.
Spent a little bit more time soaking up the sun in the yard.
We miss the view already!
Drove to Bangor. L.L. Bean stop #4 and Goodwill stop #2.
Airport.
LaGuardia so busy on a Friday night. Nursed in public for first time. Holy anxiety city, Batman.
Lew slept through both flights and on drive home.
Riding shuttle back to our car in Cincinnati, around 11:30 pm.
Home at 1:20 a.m.
We had a great time! It was nice to slow down a bit and enjoy the outdoors again (it's been a while). We decided that staying in a house is the way to go--it was so nice to have a home base to settle into (and a washer/dryer!). It certainly didn't hurt that it was a great house and right on the ocean. Thanks, Mom and Dad!
Also, thanks to Goodwill in Maine, Lewis now has lots of 12-month sleepers and even a few 18-month ones!
During the trip, he started scooting backwards, which seems to be one step closer to crawling. He's also starting to get on his knees occasionally.
He is still not close to sitting up on his own.
We're getting really excited to start solids next week!
Feed me, Seymour!
I have a few more pictures of some notable 'Firsts' that occurred during the trip that I'll post when I get a chance. Kevin took Lewis over to his parents' house this afternoon, so I ran some errands, gave the just-stayed-a-week-at-the-kennel stinky dogs their first baths since Lewis was born (oops), and have been trying to finish this post! So now I'm back on 'Mama Duty'...
Oh, and since we survived the flights, Lewis and I are booking a trip out to Boise next month to see Joe, Emily, and Juniper! Yay! This will be Joe's first time meeting Lewis, so I'm really glad we can get out there.
Fabulous! i miss it already and you really captured the whole week well. The beer and scrabble every night explains the 100 beer bottles we recycled. Thanks for coming with us. it was a precious time for us and we got to really bond with Lewis.
ReplyDeleteSo fun! Great post!
ReplyDeleteI miss the Maine and Vermont beers (and drinking every day...hahaha)--I forgot to try the Cadillac Mountain Stout that the girl in the Man Store recommended. I guess next time! I'll upload the rest of the pictures and send you the link when I do, Em and Ma.
ReplyDeleteWow, love all the maine pictures! I'd love to go to New England sometime. I have a cousin that lives up there...I need to visit! :) I wanna try on that baby carrier, it does look really comfy...you can wear it front/back? How have solid foods been going since you've returned?
ReplyDeleteYou definitely need to visit that cousin! Yes, you can wear it front, back, and even on the hip, though I haven't tried that yet. The back, you barely know he's there. The front, my shoulders begin to hurt after a long while, but I could probably adjust some straps to remedy that, just haven't yet.
ReplyDeleteHaven't started solids yet. Still trying to catch up from vacation. Having Kevin's parents and brothers over this weekend, so I've been busy getting things ready for that. So next week, we'll give it a go! How are things with Abram? What all has he tasted so far? :)