Monday, August 29, 2011

The Freakin' Weekend, Baby

I actually hate R. Kelly. Ever since the whole sex-with-a-minor allegations, he has totally given me the heebie jeebies. That song just came to mind when I was thinking of a title.

Carrying on, we had a great weekend. Saturday morning, Lewis and I had plans to walk to a yard sale while Kevin went for a run (a 7 mile run, I should say--he's training for another mini in November). Lew and I initially set off for a sale advertised as the '2nd yard sale in 35 years.' I thought that meant it would be extra special, but that it was not--it was extra dated. The listing said 'baby/kid stuff'...she should have specified 'from 1973.' She LITERALLY had a huge box of Highlights magazines from 1973-1974 and just a handful of other baby/kid things. Bummer.

However, all was not lost...on the way there, we ran across another sale by a young couple who had a LOT of great kid stuff. I found a small wooden play cube with a slide that will be great for Lewis to enjoy in our basement, plus an activity book and a Melissa & Doug puzzle and a toy...all for $12 (slide included!). So exciting.

After our walk and Kevin's run, I took off to see The Help and to have lunch with Kate and her mom, Lynne, while Kevin and Lewis did manly things. It was great to have some girl time--we all loved the movie (and the book!) and had a nice lunch at Panera. The movie was longer than I anticipated, so I had to cut out a little abruptly in order to get home in time to feed Lewis before we headed out for our next planned outing of the day--his first baseball game!

I made it home, fed Lewis, put him down for a nap, and then we headed out to see the Louisville Bats vs. Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs, who just happened to be coached by Kevin's all-time hero, Ryne Sandberg. Lewis napped a little later than planned, and we hit construction traffic, so we got there much later than planned. Sandberg was still signing autographs when we got there, so Kevin and Lewis got in line--unfortunately, he stopped signing and posing for pictures just about 10 people shy of Kevin. Such a bummer. I did get close enough to snap a few pictures of him, but it sucked to be so close! If only we hadn't hit the construction traffic...oh well. We were only able to stay until the top of the fourth because we had to get Lewis home for bedtime, but we had a nice time the hour that we were actually there (and thanks for the tickets, Curtis!).
Ryno! Over here!
Just after Ryne had stopped signing...they were so close!
Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack...
Go, Bats, Go!
Sunday morning, Lewis and I went and met Kate to watch a Waycross friend (Christina) compete in the Ironman race here in town. We caught a glimpse of her somewhere just past 6 miles into the bike portion. Kate followed her all day, and I planned to meet up with her again later. I was trying to feed Lewis and get him down for his afternoon nap, and Kate texted saying that Christina had picked up her pace on the bike and would be to our meeting point sooner than anticipated, so I did not make it in time. I went to another intersection just in case I could catch her, but soon after I arrived, Kate texted saying she had already reached downtown. Oh well--I did get to cheer on some strangers!

In between the Ironman viewing attempts, Kevin, Lewis, and I went to a used book sale at Locust Grove (the old home of George Rogers Clark's brother, William, and a place where Lewis & Clark stopped off after their expedition out West). It was half-price day, so most books were only 50 cents. What a steal! I found a neat old cookbook from a place where my friend, Rachel, works (from the early 1950s) and two books by a Kentucky author I like (Barbara Kingsolver--I loved her Prodigal Summer). We didn't actually pay to tour the home itself--we just saw it from across the property. It is just about 10 minutes from our house, so we'll have to plan a tour sometime. It seemed like a nice, peaceful place.

After the book sale, we decided to go ahead and do our grocery shopping for the week and picked up a few things for a picnic lunch. We stopped off at Paul's up the street to get some tasty sandwiches and headed to the park. Luckily it wasn't too busy, so we were able to get a picnic table in the shade with plenty of room for a blanket for Lewis to crawl around on (which lasted about 10 seconds before we had to go remove a leaf from his mouth or put him back on the blanket). Eventually we gave up and just let him explore. I think he liked the feel of the crunchy leaves and the slick grass.
Still on the blanket...
Venturing off into the wild...
Our little explorer
Hooray for bright sun and blue skies.

We hit the swings for a little while and then headed back home. A great weekend that wasn't over yet! Kevin took today off because I had to get a filling redone at the dentist this morning, so we had an extra day of fun. To be continued...

3 comments:

  1. I love this post. So fun. He looks so content at the baseball game!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks--I have a feeling he has a lot of baseball games in his future. And football, too. We're going to try to take him to a U of L football game in October, weather-permitting.

    Lew and I can't wait to go out and about with you, Joe, and Juniper next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like you had such a fun weekend! that's cool that you're getting him exposed to all your favorite things!

    ReplyDelete