The night before last, we were up every hour and a half to two hours. Then last night was a little better with fussing from 8-9, and then sleeping 9-12, 12-4, and 4-7. The night before last I stupidly stayed up until almost 11:30pm; last night was better and I went to bed at 9 when he finally did.

Thankfully Kevin took a half day today and came home to save me. I do not know how single mothers do it. I do not know how mothers/fathers of colicky babies do it. I do not know how mothers with more hands-off husbands do it. It is rough. Period. That uncontrollable/inconsolable cry--when nothing I do seems to help him (and he can't tell me where it hurts).
Over the past 48 hours, we have tried:
- The humidifier.
- A fan.
- The swing (thinking the incline might help drain him).
- Gas drops.
- Saline spray and the nasal aspirator (before every feed now).
- Tylenol.
- Vick's BabyRub.
- The doctor (b/c he spiked a fever of 101.2)...only to find out it's 'just a cold' (and not an ear infection) after waiting 45 minutes to see the doctor (better safe than sorry, I know). AND he has officially broken the 20 pound mark, according to their scale.
- Advil (per doctor's orders).
- Dimetapp (per doctor's orders).
- A lukewarm bath.
- A drive.
- Orajel.
- Frozen grapes.
- Some homeopathic teething tablets I picked up at Walgreen's.
Lewis took his bath while Mama drank her coffee and took some deep breaths.
I think we have a good rhythm of Advil, Dimetapp, Orajel, and snot-sucking (and the humidifier) going on now. His fever was gone this afternoon. And he seemed to like the frozen grapes this evening, too.
Something he did NOT like...plums. Or bananas. He totally puked after tasting both this evening, so we just gave him a little extra cereal with some breastmilk mixed in to try to keep things easier on him (and since he puked up the milk he had just eaten prior to the cereal/fruit).
I am so thankful for Kevin--for being hands on, for being supportive, for knowing when I am about to snap, crackle, and/or pop. :)
Furthermore, to top off perhaps the most challenging day with Lewis thus far, Peter peed on Kevin's foot as we were walking tonight. It made me laugh. :) We are going to be okay.
Hope he feels better soon so you can all get some rest. Sick babies are the worst!
ReplyDeleteThanks, MacKenzie--they are the worst! Last night's sleep was much better, so I had more patience today (with the better sleep). It seems to have worked its way to his chest now--he is still draining a lot from his nose, but he is now also a little wheezy and really sad-sounding when he cries. I think he is working it out--it seems that way, at least! We'll see how tonight goes!
ReplyDeletepoor mamathomp and baby Lew!! I'm glad you made it through like a trooper and that you do have a very good baby daddy to help you.
ReplyDelete