A few goals for the new year:
- Implement more structured activities into Lewis' day. Plan ahead. Utilize the activity books we have.
- Eat more whole foods and less 'convenience' foods. Make more from scratch. Expand our weeknight dinner repertoire. Try menu planning. Buy/eat more fruits and vegetables.
- Take time every day for myself. Maybe walk the dogs after Kevin gets home. Maybe yoga. Something where I can step away from Lewis, away from the TV/computer, and clear my head.
Things could soon get turned upside down at our house! I have applied for a full-time Naturalist position out at the forest where I worked for three seasons. I wasn't really looking for something full-time, but this job has been on my closest-to-a-dream-job radar for a few (7 or so) years, so I feel like I owe it to myself to at least apply.
While trying to live in the moment, I can't help but try to lay down plans now that will put me in the best scenario 5+ years from now (once we are finished having children). I'm concerned that having no degree-related year-round, full-time job experience on my resume will set me back some. My thinking is that if I can get a few years of entry level experience now with this forest position, I can take off from work again for a while with the next child. When I am ready to return to work again, I will be able to enter the workforce in more of an established role instead of something entry level.
Plus, now that Lewis is older and more interactive, I want him to have the benefits of being around other children. I feel like we could do that through a mom group/play group (or storytime and swim lessons and other planned activities on my part), or we could send him to daycare.
I was starting to think about looking for a part-time job (until the forest job came up), and I'm very much torn on what the 'right' thing to do is. My considerations are Lewis' needs vs. my career vs. stress level vs. financial security vs. time to myself vs. family balance.
I love Lewis so much, and I just want to do what is right for him and for me, whatever that is. I'm very fortunate to be in a situation of having a choice, I realize.
So I guess that's another resolution:
- To achieve better balance.
We'll see what happens!
I know it's a hard decision. i think what is best for Lewis is to have a mommy that is happy and fulfilled and yes, balanced. For some that is to stay at home and for others it is to do work that you love and then enjoy the time you have at home. The important thing is the quality not quantity of the time you spend with lewis. Good luck on your dream job!!!
ReplyDelete