It dawned on me that we just happen to have two bookshelves with the bottom two levels of cubes empty (to keep Lewis away from our books), so this was an easy, duh-that's-much-better-than-throwing-all-the-toys-into-a-cluttered-bin, task. It makes it easier for me, too, to tidy up after he plays because it feels like things have a 'place' to belong (and eventually Lewis will be able to do the tidying up himself). And anyone who knows me knows that I appreciate when things have places. :)
So here is our first attempt at incorporating some Montessori into our lives. I tried to keep the heavier items on the bottom level and lighter stuff up top:
The dogs seem to like the openness of it, too. It allows for better sniffage.
I caught Hattie (twice) cruising along the shelves and trying to snatch this orangutan from Uncle Dave and Cookie Monster from Kevin, so I've since slid them back to the back of the cube. While I do let Lewis play with some of the dogs' forgotten toys, I don't want Hattie to rip apart Lewis' stuffed animals.
Lewis and Kevin went to the park the other day (must have been Sunday?), and here are a few pictures. We probably have 10+ pictures of Lew swinging on these same swings, but he loves it! So here's another. :)
"Now you listen here...this is the situation."
I included this one because I think it reminded me that he's started talking with his hands (gesticulating, not to be confused with genuflecting [which I kept saying incorrectly] which is the deep knee bend you're supposed to do at the altar at church) the past few days. Not 'talking' I guess, but expressing himself. One hand will get going like a little old Italian grandmother or something. It's pretty cute.
And, lastly, I found this remote control for him at Goodwill the other day. He is constantly grabbing our real remote and putting it in his mouth (and almost breaking it as Kate and I discovered last week). A friend of mine had mentioned getting one for her son around this age, so I've been on the lookout.
Pretty similar! Good job, Sesame Street design team!
Hopefully he likes his remote as well as he likes the real one.
haha! love the remote! We brought an old one from Grandma C's house, but he still gravitates to the real one! Also, love the vest! Abram has an 18 month one that is still a bit big...will be great for spring! And the jibber jabber, gesticulating, so funny:) Abram is starting to sound like those twins on that video talking to each other! haha
ReplyDeleteYour comment about genuflecting vs. gesticulating made me laugh out loud. That's all. :)
ReplyDeleteI love those twins! Lewis will get on a roll with the Nananana-ing and hand moves, usually in his highchair while waiting for food. I wonder if he thinks he's telling me to hurry it up.
ReplyDeleteI love how his hands look bigger than they should here, too.
Em, do you remember having to practice genuflecting during our days of acolyte training? I knew it wasn't the right word--thank goodness for wikipedia. Also thought of articulating. Not the right word either. Now we know. :)