Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Family Fun at Hickory Hill

We spent this past weekend at Waycross with my mom's side of the family. Up in the woods (on a hill with lots of hickory trees), there used to be another camp, Hickory Hill. The camp itself no longer runs, but the retreat house still stands and is where we normally stay when we go up to volunteer with other alumni. This time, however, we solely went for fun and relaxation, and we had such a great time! Lots of pictures to share:

These three greeted us as we arrived Friday afternoon:
A mama deer and fawn
And another fawn
 Grandma DeeDee came bearing gifts for Lewis
 While everyone else was still sleeping, we were awake, having breakfast (and trying to be quiet and not wake the others).

Saturday morning, some of us took off on a hike to Ghost Town, which used to be an old canning town (all that's left now are some foundations and a barn):
 
 Off we go!
 
 Lewis eventually starting resting his head on Papaw's back like he could take a nap. :)
 Playing down in the creek
My mom found a toad.
 Kevin's vantage point of our big boy hiking back
The trail down was pretty washed out and full of slippery rocks (it rained overnight), so we took a different trail back up the hill. I hadn't ever hiked that particular section, but I was pretty sure (75-80% sure) I knew where it would end up. :) It was a bit longer distance, but the uphill portion was more gradual and comfortable to walk.
 He made it almost the whole way back on his feet!
Towards the end, he started to tire and get pokey, but he was a trooper! You'd think it'd tire him out enough to take a nap. :)
 Gramma Pat, Lewis, and Great-Grandma DeeDee, taking a break on a log
 
Practicing how to show how old he is (TWO!) at lunch :)

We made a slight effort at a nap, but Lewis wasn't having it. I think we were all feeling like we could fall asleep if we sat for too long, so we decided to go canoeing:
 Aunt Paula and Uncle Jim
Our First Family Canoeing Attempt
We're heading to a lake house in Wisconsin next week for vacation, so we were curious to see how Lew would do in a boat (the house comes with a rowboat and kayak). He did fairly well, I suppose, for a 2 year old. He sat for the most part, but he also shifted from one side of the boat to the other a bit to dip his hands in (and I was fully clothed and NOT wanting to flip into the lake). We made it around the lake and back, and then Mom and I took Lewis out a separate time where he did pretty well.
 Swimming with Gramma
 Kayaking Kevin
Relaxing on the deck 
 Gathering firewood
Cornhole!
We played a lot Saturday afternoon, with my Uncles Jim and Tim being unbeatable.
 Holding Lewis back from the action
 Otherwise, he would lay like this. :)
 Playing 'trains' with Gramma's dominoes
 Climbing around the hay wagon
 Sun setting through the trees on Hickory Hill
Campfire/S'mores Time
I tried to tell the story of Jim Peters (our dog, Peter's, namesake), but I couldn't remember the details since it's been 13+ years since I last told/heard the story. My cousin Mallory who has been on staff for a while now told their version, but there were a few parts I'm certain have been added since the 'old' days. :) I'll have to talk to my people and get the real story told to me again. 

We had such a great time--we're already talking of organizing another weekend away.

1 comment: