Monday, May 28, 2012

Rest of the Weekend - Slugger Museum and a Pool

So after recovering from the heat of Saturday, we decided to keep Sunday an indoor day. I'd seen a commercial last week about some hometown tourism deal going on, so I investigated further and found that some museums in town are offering admission deals this month to local residents. We've been talking about going to the Louisville Slugger Museum for the past few months, and they just happened to have a 2 for 1 deal on Sundays only (and Lew was free), so it worked out perfectly! I'd gone a few times with a summer camp I worked, but somehow Kevin has never been (he had chickenpox over the day of his 4th grade field trip)!

We went right after nap, watched the short movie, toured the bat factory, checked out the permanent exhibit, and then went in to see the special exhibit Kevin wanted to see (a collection of photographs and a few pieces of memorabilia, called Ballparks: From Classic Cathedrals to Concrete Doughnuts).
Ready to watch his first movie
It only lasted about 10 minutes, but I had to give him animal crackers about halfway through to distract him because he started to fuss. Towards the beginning, though, he seemed pretty interested in what was happening on the big screen! 
 Kevin, Lew, and Derek Jeter
These statues freak me out. They have Derek, Babe Ruth, Ken Griffey, Jr., and Ted Williams--Ted is most definitely the scariest (I didn't get a photo).
 Lewis, checking out the Babe
 And then REALLY checking him out!
I think know these confused him.
 Checking out the dugout
 The Big Glove (play area)
 I finally got him to crawl through the inside of the glove--once he made it through, he turned around and went back through again.
 See ya, Mom!

Kevin hit a batch of balls in the batting cages, and then it was Lewis' turn (they've been practicing with his T at home):
 Swing, batter batter!
He made contact once, and then he decided to chew on the ball and run around and shake the netting. :)
 Don't eat the ball, Lewis!
There was another little boy who went before and after Lewis, and he had quite a swing! We stood and watched him and cheered for him--even Lewis clapped for him when he got a good hit (while the rest of us were clapping and cheering, of course). Very cute!

Finally, today we decided to check out the pool at the state park near our house that just opened for the season. It was so strange to see him in his floatie this year vs. last year. I totally remember how little he was in it last year, and this year he was leaning forward in it, kicking back and relaxing in it, trying to bite it, playing peekaboo with the sunshade, etc.
Lew and Papa 
I love his little index fingers. :)
 Floatie Time, When the Livin's Easy
And that guy at 12 o'clock had the worst sunburn I've ever seen (his arms are already tan, but his previously major tank-top-farmer's-tan is now totally burned). Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen, dude!

To top off our summery weekend o' fun, we stopped on the way home for some ice cream. Lewis has gotten very good the past few weeks at taking no-handed bites of things (like ice cream bars, ice cream cones, etc.). :) Good life skill to have, buddy!
 Mmmm...ice cream!
All over his face!

3 comments:

  1. I love how you guys are always out doing fun things! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If I don't leave the house every day, I go a little stir crazy. :) So it's partly for my own sanity, but I'm also trying to get Lew out there. Show him the fun (and educational) things there are to do. Sounds like you're doing the same (just read your post about the Fort)!

      Delete