Thursday, July 12, 2012

Boise: Part 3

Pink cowboy boots!?
I got these for Juni at a yard sale last month--I thought I'd see if Lew would wear them at all (thinking he wouldn't), and he loved them!
He also loved pushing around Juni's doll's pink stroller.
Future Cowboy?
He has a cute little cowboy-esque lip snarl in those last two pictures.
Eating fresh-as-you-can-get blueberries from the backyard
Juniper, rinsing Lew's hair
Hey, lady, what do you think you're doing?!
And then trying to pour her bowl of 'soup' on his head.
Lots and lots of splashing!

Monday, Emily and Joe both went to work and Juniper went to Miss Donna's house, so Lewis and I headed to the Idaho Aquarium to check out the animals. It was small, but there were a lot of touch tanks (of course Lew got up to the edge of the tanks and started splashing nearby kids...oops.)
Lewis with Iggy the iguana
Checking out the shark and ray tank
And the starfish
Juni, so glad to see Drina after a day at Miss Donna's...
...and so ready to wrestle with Lewis again.
:)
And then they tag-teamed Drina
And then EVERYone wanted to pile on Auntie Em

We decided to take them outside for a little bit to get the crazies out before bedtime, and Lewis LOVED following Joe around while Joe watered their (amazing, beautiful, inspirational) garden.
A big fan of the hose. (Not the hoes, Joe Bergstrom.) :)
Enjoying some ice cream
Drinking from the hose
Jumping on the bed :)
Juni, hugging Lewis good-bye the next morning (a little blurry, sorry)
I love my cousin, Juniper, so much. :)

We had about an hour delay from Boise to Denver (which was more like 1 1/2 hours by the time we took off), but that was okay because we had plenty of cushion time in Denver. The Boise-Denver leg was amazing--the most comfortable flight I've ever been on. A big plane (I could stand up in my seat without having to duck!), a bulkhead seat right behind first class with like 3 feet of leg room and an empty seat next to us, TV shows, and Lewis fell asleep at takeoff and slept about an hour (so was only awake about the last 30 minutes of the flight). Awesome.
Lunch with a view in Boise
There were some smaller firefighting planes and really large C-130s coming in and flying out, both of which have been out fighting forest fires around Idaho. Pretty neat to see them/hear them come in. They were really big planes! Apparently they are also used to transport presidential vehicles around the country. (There was a veteran sitting next to us, taking pictures, and he was telling us about them. Pretty neat.)
And dinner in Denver--loving to watch the planes coming and going
We found out that they USED to have a play area in Denver, but it has been removed--bummer, but we did find another broken down people mover to run up and down a few times. The layover really wasn't too bad--we walked around some, both ate dinner, and I changed Lewis into his PJs, and then it was time to go!
Ready to board and fall asleep (in theory)
We were super cramped from Denver to Louisville--it was a totally full flight, on a small plane, with no room to breathe. We unfortunately also had the Doublemint Twins behind us--two teenage girls who were singing, oohing and aahing at Lewis and playing with him, and then they started clapping/stomping/snapping/banging on their tray tables (which of course were connected to MY seat). At that, I pulled out my Stern Teacher Voice and kindly asked them to not hit the back of my seat. [And it was then that I began to question where their parents were, and I made a mental note about teaching my children common courtesy. How to act on a plane. How to act on a plane that is leaving late into the evening with small children aboard. And certainly not to sing or bang or clap on a plane.] They pretty much shut up after that and Lewis finally fell asleep at about 9:40pm Boise time (so two hours later than usual). We made it in around 10:30pm Boise time (so 12:30am Louisville time) Tuesday night, and we've been unpacking and trying to get back to 'normal' ever since.


Great trip--thanks again, Bergstroms, for your lovely hospitality. We'll see you in November!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, looks like ya'll had a great time! Glad you made it back ok, we need to get together sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great posts. We are so glad you guys made the journey. Would you believe Juni is sleeping peacefully on the couch right now and that she went down when I asked her to?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great posts! I'm glad you had such a good time since you had such travel misadventures. Love the bath pictures, you have future embarrassment pics now. It seems that Lew is almost the same size as Juni in these pics. Is he? I really liked that aquarium when we took Juniper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're pretty close in size, though Juni is a few inches taller than Lewis. Em thought they felt about the same weight when she held Lew.

      The aquarium has puffins and lorikeets now, which I think are relatively new (since you've been, perhaps?). We wanted to go to the zoo, but it was just too hot. Next time!

      Delete