This past Saturday I was honored to co-hostess a baby shower for Adie with their sister-in-law (and our friend from camp), Julia. We had so much fun planning it--we exchanged a lot of emails and pictures over the past few months and crafted and sewed, and it was so fun to finally have it all come together!
The theme we decided on was Little Man with a Campy twist. Instead of the traditional Little Man black mustaches, we went with red beards to bring Ben into the theme. For the camp part, we decorated with pine cones, plaid/burlap, old enamelware, acorns, a wishing tree, and we had a campy menu. It consisted of: fancy PBJs (fancy nut butters with Julia's homemade jam), trail mix, a vegetable tray, 'kids in a blanket' (which are a.k.a. pigs in a blanket), fried biscuits (thanks, Will, for being our biscuit frying guy!), icing grahams (thanks for the pudding grahams idea, Emily!), s'mores cupcakes, and s'mores bark.
Here's a look at some of the highlights from Adie's special day:
Invitations by Julia (she made some plaid and some burlap)
Bearded straws for drinks made by Julia
The food spread
Desserts and Drinks, ready for guests
Close-up of the name banner
(which hung above the desserts and drinks)
Most of the Waycross girls
L from bottom - Lauren, Bess, Joan, and Kate, R from bottom - Adie, Marian, Liz, and Vanessa! Kendra and her girls were at another table.
The above picture is also the best I got of the table decorations. There was a bit of a mad rush before the shower started to get the tables decorated, and I forgot to take a picture before people sat at them. I did take a close-up of some of the elements, the picture after next.
Close-up of the coasters
A great big thank you to Kate for coming over after work one evening and sewing these with me until well after midnight! I literally couldn't/wouldn't have done them without your help and encouragement and skill. (They were really frustrating me.) :)
Some of the table decor
Here are some of the decorations from the tables, close up. I sprayed pine cones in orange, green, blue, and cream and left some natural. We also had (fake) acorns scattered about.
I stole the picture idea from my cousin, Leitia (here she is, featured on Apartment Therapy!)--she drew mustaches on pictures of her son for his first birthday party, so we thought it'd be cute to put little red beards on Gordon's ultrasound picture. :)
The flowers, close-up
We did green (in different leaves, berries, mums), yellow (not sure what they were called), and white (baby's breath). (Thanks to Emily and my parents for lending us your camping coffee cups!)
Marian and 8-month-old Carter (Julia's son)
The gray-blue in his flannel shirt matched his beautiful blue eyes perfectly. He is such a sweet boy.
I have a bunch of pictures of Adie opening gifts (which I'll send to them), but I wanted to post a few of her opening a gift I got her. I saw this super cute campy onesie a few weeks ago in Parenting magazine, and I decided to attempt to make one. Just last Thursday night (two nights before the shower), Adie pinned the exact same onesie on Pinterest! I immediately texted Julia, our friend Kate, and my sister (some of the people whom I've shown the onesie and who are also on Pinterest). I think she was pretty surprised (and maybe confused) to see it.
This was the finished product.
Surprise and/or Confusion? Or both?
We had a few girls modeling the red beards:
Sophie and Lily
Down just a little, Norah! :)
One group of girls gave Gordon these adorable mustache pacifiers.
Julia and her little man, Carter! :)
He was incessantly licking the straw.
The Wishing Tree
Full of wishes for Adie, Ben, and Gordon as they embark on the adventure of parenthood :)
S'mores Bark as favors
(I used this recipe, substituting milk chocolate for semi-sweet in the main chocolate layer.)
Kate and I made the bark the night before the shower, and we had a small-ish fire after taking our last batch out of the oven!! It was so strange--she took the batch out, I spread crushed grahams over the toasted marshmallows, and then she went to move it to another countertop (I'd estimate at least a minute passed). She said she smelled something burning but passed it off as the marshmallows toasting. Next thing we knew there was a large flame climbing up the oven mitt (still on her hand...) and onto her sleeve. We went right to the sink and she pulled her sleeve down (which had a hole burned in it), but somehow the fire never touched her skin. Phew! It was wild. I'm so glad it wasn't any worse (especially glad that she didn't get burned).
And here's one last one, NOT of the shower, but of Lewis enjoying some of the leftover PBJs:
Double fisting it!
He loved them! He ate 3 halves at one sitting and 3 halves at another--big fan! And an increasingly big eater!
So cute! Well done!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Schwee!
DeleteYou guys did a fabulous job!!! Isn't it fun to throw parties?
ReplyDeleteThanks, Mom! It is SO fun! We're so excited for B&A and to meet Gordon.
Delete