Lewis has been into Cars and Thomas the Train, but he also loves all other modes of transportation (planes, bikes, concrete mixers (and other heavy duty trucks), motorcycles, tractors, etc.). Therefore I decided to just go for an overall transportation theme for his 2nd birthday.
The Invites
I used the same blank notecards and envelopes I've been using for a few years now and just double-sided-taped my cardstock invites to them. I found the perfect 3D transportation-themed stickers at Target, so I put those on and they were ready to go!
Chicken, Black Bean, and Cheese Quesadillas (cut into train shapes with a cookie cutter)
My mom's Party Sandwiches (with turkey/pepper jack and ham/provolone)
Sharon's Cheese Ball and Crackers
The Cake
I decided to put together some ideas I found on Pinterest. The construction scene and farm have a bed of crushed Oreos, and the boulders/chunks of construction debris are chunks of candy bars. The cake itself is my mom's carrot cake with cream cheese icing.
Lewis seemed to like it, but he kept wanting to pull the trucks and race car and tractor off of it to play with them. :)
Also for dessert, we made a sweet and salty snack mix and had some mini chocolate donuts as 'spare tires.' And ice cream, of course!
Party Time
Lewis was very good all morning Saturday as Kevin and I prepped the food (Oreos helped). :) We'd moved furniture and started setting out some decorations on Friday night, but we put the finishing touches on during nap on Saturday. Also during nap, Kevin ran to pick up the balloons, so when Lewis woke up, he was super excited for the party to begin.
Again, I couldn't decide between Cars and Thomas, so I got both. :) And the Cars balloon was gigantic--I didn't realize it was so super-sized when I ordered it. Oops.
After dinner, we headed to the basement for playtime and gift-opening:
The boys ran and ran and ran around the basement for a bit before we opened presents. Lewis got to bed a little past his usual 7:30, and he slept until almost 8:30 this morning. He was one tired buddy.
Opening one of his bug-themed gifts from Auntie Schwee, Uncle Joe, and Juniper
Opening some food from Grandma and Grandpa Thompson
And some food from Gramma and Papaw Carter
(he ripped the tiniest pieces of paper off of this one)


Time to make a wish and blow out the candle!
Kevin and I had to help--he just kind of stared at the flame.
Scoring some of Grandma's cake
Cheesing with Grandma and Grandpa Thompson
Stealing a lick from Papaw Sonny's sucker :)
:)
Party Time
Lewis was very good all morning Saturday as Kevin and I prepped the food (Oreos helped). :) We'd moved furniture and started setting out some decorations on Friday night, but we put the finishing touches on during nap on Saturday. Also during nap, Kevin ran to pick up the balloons, so when Lewis woke up, he was super excited for the party to begin.
Again, I couldn't decide between Cars and Thomas, so I got both. :) And the Cars balloon was gigantic--I didn't realize it was so super-sized when I ordered it. Oops.
After dinner, we headed to the basement for playtime and gift-opening:
The boys ran and ran and ran around the basement for a bit before we opened presents. Lewis got to bed a little past his usual 7:30, and he slept until almost 8:30 this morning. He was one tired buddy.
Opening one of his bug-themed gifts from Auntie Schwee, Uncle Joe, and Juniper
Opening some food from Grandma and Grandpa Thompson
And some food from Gramma and Papaw Carter
(he ripped the tiniest pieces of paper off of this one)
Foooood.
He's been walking around this morning with a carton of milk and an ice cream cone.
Time to make a wish and blow out the candle!
Kevin and I had to help--he just kind of stared at the flame.
Time for more playtime upstairs and cake and ice cream:
Smiling at his buddy, VanScoring some of Grandma's cake
Cheesing with Grandma and Grandpa Thompson
Stealing a lick from Papaw Sonny's sucker :)
:)
And cheesing it up with Uncle Scott
(I bumped a button on the camera to make this a little blurry, but Lewis' cheesy grin is just too cute not to share.)
Thanks so much to everyone for coming and for making Lewis' birthday so special!
Looks like a great party! Juni was so sad when I showed her the cake, but told her she couldn't have any! Love you guys.
ReplyDeleteHahaha. That's awesome. We love you, too, Auntie.
DeleteIt was a great party-- nice job, mama!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Mom! Lewis has been walking around with an ice cream cone or french fry in his mouth. And he LOVES to cut his fruit/veggies/bread. That kit is really neat. Thanks again for everything!
DeleteWow, no wonder you had a party hangover after this! So impressive. You are one crafty, capable woman! Lewis is very lucky to have you (Kevin too!). Great job!
ReplyDeleteWell, thank you, Maggie!
Delete