Last week we kind of talked about going away for a fun, relaxing weekend since we have a lot of plans coming up in March and April. Friday morning, we finally called and booked a cabin for Friday-Sunday down at Red River Gorge. So much for being spontaneous! It was far, far from being fun or relaxing. :) [And now, combined with the toddler bed shenanigans and lack of sleep, Mama is wearing down. Early to bed tonight.]
We got down to the area around bedtime on Friday evening, but by the time we got checked in, unloaded, and had Lewis' room set up, it was close to 8:30pm. Needless to say, Lewis was totally freaked out and was not going to sleep--I finally gave up at 10:30 and went to bed with him and stayed until he woke up at about 6:15am.
Saturday I went out and surveyed the driveway that I was unable to drive up on four scary attempts in the dark (where I slid backwards in mud with no control of the steering...pretty freakin' awesome way to start the trip):
So not happening.
(We had to haul our bags and coolers and Lewis and the dogs up this hill in the dark, too.)
As I was making breakfast on Saturday, I heard a familiar sound in the ceiling above the stove--that of a bat! I jumped and ran over to the other side of the cabin. I'd wiped off a weird drip from the countertop already, not thinking about it (it was bat poop). I'm all for nature in nature, but when it comes inside it freaks me out!
The drip.
I put a paper towel down and didn't use that countertop the rest of the weekend. I didn't hear the bat again, so maybe he/she was just saying hi and letting his/her presence be known.
Onto breakfast:
The dining chairs wouldn't hold his booster seat, so we had to make do with a patio chair and nightstand.
Since we were up so early, we got out early (which was good because we wanted to be back by noon so Kevin could watch the Louisville game):
Nada Tunnel
Early morning turkeys
We took a few short hikes that morning:
On top of a natural bridge...
And under it.
Lewis rock climbing with Papa (to get in place for a family picture)
Cheesin' and Freezin' (it was chilly that morning)
What comes down, must go up?
The trail from the top of bridge down to the underside wasn't bad, but there were quite a lot of stairs we had to climb back up to get to the car.
This was a second stop to Chimney Rock and Half Moon:
Goofy Lewis
He kept saying 'Backpack!' He seemed to like hitching a ride on Kevin's back.
At Chimney Rock
Lew's face cracks me up here. :)
My handsome hiking buddies.
I took this one for Papaw Sonny--there was a cup at the overlook that we picked up as trash, and Lewis was very excited to put it in the trash can. Reminded me of you, Dad.
Back for the game (and so not napping:)
The boys' couch
During the failed nap attempt, Lewis DID manage to lock himself in the bedroom. To get him out we had to take the door handle off with a butter knife and corkscrew (since we didn't have a screwdriver). Such good times! The above picture was actually taken at the end of the weekend as Kevin was reassembling it.
After the UL game, we decided to go out and do some shopping--after a few stops, Lewis crashed, so we took an hour-long 'scenic drive' to let him sleep (some).
Sleepy buddy.
We got home and fired up the grill for dinner. The wraparound porch was great--we brought one of our gates, so we were able to gate the stairs and let the dogs and Lewis run free for a little while. The weather was nice (at least for awhile), so that was a positive. :)
The great outdoors.
Dinner.
The outside temperature did drop pretty quickly, so our food was kind of cold. It was still good, though. :) The beer was perhaps better.
I didn't even try to be patient Saturday night--I headed to bed with Lewis around 8pm. He woke up around 6:30am Sunday morning, and I was confused to find the dogs in bed but no Kevin. Once he heard Lewis waking up, Kevin came in from the couch (he'd been afraid to come to bed and disturb/wake-up Lewis). My plan had been for all of us to sleep in there, away from the bat! I guess Kevin wasn't as concerned/scared as I was. :)
We headed out soon after breakfast and made it home by noon.
What a memorable weekend! So long, cabin.
I think we were both wishing for another weekend to recover from this one, but alas, Monday is here. And Lewis did not nap today and was a fussy mess most of the afternoon/evening. He is asleep now, so hopefully he makes it past 5:47am this time. I will go to bed way earlier than last night which should greatly improve my threshold of patience tomorrow, as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment