Saturday, December 7, 2013

Let it SNOW!

We have finally had our first big(ish) snowfall in 2 1/2 years--enough for Lewis to play in! We had one last year, but Kevin and I were out of town that weekend. My parents were watching Lewis for us, but he wasn't happy about having to wear boots, I remember.

So, anyway, we've had fun the past 24 hours--Kevin got off work early yesterday, so he and Lewis played outside and shoveled the back steps and driveway last night. This morning Kevin went out and shoveled the front driveway, and then after breakfast we all played outside, built a snowman, and drove down to the high school to go sledding! We feel like we have to load in the fun in case this is our one and only chance this winter. :)


First, the dogs went out to enjoy it. Sweet Hattie Girl won't leave the porch if there is a drop of rain, but she LOVES the snow. And I love watching her play in it:

 
I know Peter's not doing much, but I keep laughing at Hattie leaping in the background. :) 
She took off running laps around the yard. Laid her belly in it. Tried to eat it (she had snow all in her beard). She loves it. Peter's okay with it, too, but doesn't seem to get quite as excited as Hattie does.
Thanks for shoveling, boys!
Finally, a fire in the fireplace after a few years without.

Kevin caught Lewis serenading us at breakfast this morning:
We'll have to give him his jingle bells next time for some accompaniment. :)

Here's our snowman from this morning (that Kevin and I mostly built). The snow wasn't great for building, but we made it work with chunks he'd shoveled last night: 
 We had no coal or carrots on hand, so sticks and mulch will have to do. :)
 Lew and the Snowman

By that time, he was 'all done' playing outside, so we loaded him in the car and drove down to see if there were any areas around the high school where we could sled. We found another family with the same idea, so we joined them. It was just a little hill, but a good size for Lewis to get started on.
Whee!
The terror! And the thrill!
I can't remember the last time I went sledding! I'm sure I'll be sore tomorrow. :)
Lew loved it (for a little while, at least)
He went down the hill with Kevin and I a few times and by himself, too, but then he mostly wanted to climb up the hill and run back down, or slide down on his butt, or follow the two girls around who were there with us.


Snuggle Buddies
After all of the running around, we came home and built another fire and warmed up under a blanket.

This afternoon--Christmas shopping!

4 comments:

  1. looks like great fun!!! that's your first fire because of the birds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We finally got a chimney sweep and a cap installed at the top (to keep the birds out next year) last month.

      Delete
  2. The pic of Kevin and Lewis in their matching red caps is killer! What a great Father/Son pic! What's your secret to get Lewis to wear his gloves??? I cannot get Carlton to put his on, even after his hands are in icicle pain. Your fireplace looks like it is out of a magazine - nice! Merry Winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :)

      As for the gloves, I'm not sure! Except maybe the fit?? He has some mittens that are bulkier (and warmer), but he doesn't like those. And he has some gloves that are a little too bit, and he doesn't like those. These mittens are pretty tiny and fit just right, though they don't provide much warmth. His little fingers were still icicles after we were finished playing. I wish there were smaller, less bulky, waterproof ones!

      Delete