Monday, April 22, 2013

Alumni Work Camp

This past weekend was the start of the two-week Alumni Work Camp at Waycross. There was a change in our babysitting situation, so I went up by myself from Friday evening-Sunday afternoon. Kevin and Lewis were able to come up for a few hours to visit everyone on Saturday afternoon, so that was nice. Kevin helped haul some boards while he was there, and some people got to meet Lewis for the first time.

Our work crew worked all day Saturday hanging railings for the bridge across the newly worked dam (within the past few years). The boards were milled from trees that were taken from the camp property, so that was neat. They were very heavy!

First thing Saturday morning
It's hard to see, but none of the boards are attached from this point to (almost) that telephone pole in the upper left corner. We split up and worked on both sides, slowly and steadily. We had to square up the board, hold it up to mark where the bolt's holes needed drilled (did I mention the boards were really heavy?), drill the holes, cut the other end off square, and then hang the board (and install washers/nuts to secure it).

Some action shots:
Tony and Julia, squaring things off
Anne and Jeremy, drilling
We also only had one extension cord (with a splitter) for the four power tools we were using. We couldn't use two at the same time because we wouldn't get enough power to work either one well. And it seemed like the tool you needed was never one of the three plugged into the splitter. It wasn't too bad, though--we finally got a good rhythm going before lunch where one person cut something for both sides back-to-back to be a little more efficient. :)

After lunch, our visitors arrived! We were just running low on bolts, so the work slowed down enough for us to visit with Kevin, Lewis, Ben, Adie, and Gordon.
Lewis found his favorite tool--a measuring tape 
Anne, showing him how to measure the board 
And then streeetching it out as far as it would go and chasing it back in :)
Adie, teaching/recruiting a future rower? :) 
Lewis' 1st Waycross Cookie
(his life will never, ever be the same)

Kendra and Anne went down the slope of the dam to look for morels, so Lewis and I followed. It was really steep, as you'll see!
Wheeeeee! 
We walked around for a little while but didn't find anything (not that I would have eaten them, anyway). :) I did see lots of Mayapple and Trout Lily. 
Then it was time to climb back up-up-up!
Lewis made it about 20 feet from the top, and I carried him the rest of the way. He is not lightweight! :)
Our finished work!
There were two boards that were unusable, so we weren't able to hang them all on Saturday. Two people went back out Sunday with replacements and finished it off--it looks fabulous!

While Kevin and Lew were there, we went down to visit the other half of our work crew so they could see Kevin and meet Lewis:
Setting posts
Over the weekend, they dug and set the posts for two new shelters that are being built. The goal is to have them ready for this camp season, so there is a lot of work to be done on them these next few weeks at AWC. I can't wait to see how they turn out!

We were just about to say goodbye when Trey (the organizer) came up on the golf cart and offered to take Lewis (and I) for a ride in the woods. I think it was one of Lewis' most favorite things ever.
Getting loved on by Judy
Returning back from our adventure
We zipped pretty quickly down the path through the woods, and Lewis pretty much just sat there with a straight face. I'm pretty certain that's his code for absolutely loving it. He did say 'der' (which means yes) when Trey asked if he was having a fun time.

Saturday night we had a really nice dinner down at the director's house. Sunday morning, Kendra volunteered me to clean the house with her (which actually wasn't too bad...I mostly vacuumed all of the chunks of mud that we all dragged in, which was satisfying work). After we finished being domestic, she and I went down to help another group weed a large garden bed. Then it was time for lunch and time to take off, back to reality.

It was great to see everyone and to get so much work accomplished! And to get a break (thanks, Kevin!).

1 comment:

  1. you guys did great work. I will always think of you when i see that railing. i'm glad the boys got to join you. you can never start Lew on Waycross too early.

    ReplyDelete