Sunday, May 19, 2013

Chicago!

We just got back last evening from a whirlwind Thursday-Saturday trip to Chicago! After last July's horrid flight to Boise, United gave me a voucher that I had to use by July 1st. With that deadline fast-approaching and no trips in sight, we decided to go ahead and plan a trip including most of Lewis' favorite things--planes, trains, buses, Cubs, and museums where he could play. I'll try to be short on words since this post is long on pictures. We had a great and totally exhausting time!

Thursday:
Climbing on Dada for a higher plane-watching vantage point 
Sitting so well like a big boy
Pushing buttons in the cockpit--the pilot said it was okay :/
We had a really nice flight attendant who gave him a set of wings and asked us if he wanted to meet the pilot. It was very cool--Lewis loooved all of those buttons and gadgets. 
The Bean
A very hand-smudged picture of our reflection 
Lewis laying down under it to watch his reflection
There were a few people laying around and under it, and, as we walked around, Lewis just plopped down like he knew what to do. Kevin and I both cracked up.

Chicago Children's Museum (which is free on Thursday evenings): 
Lewis was obsessed with the fire safety area. We visited it when we first arrived and then had to return as we were leaving (that's him driving the fire truck).

He also started placing safety cones... 
Lining them up, just so. 
Giving himself a round of applause when they were all in place. :) 
Another little boy came up to help and lined them up exactly as Lewis was--it was cute. They didn't speak, just finished the ever-important job at hand.
Lew is a big fan of water tables. Here, he was actually placing tubes and joints and figuring out how the pieces went together. 
Listening to bird calls in a tree house.

Friday: 
Kevin and Lewis, enjoying a cup of coffee and talking about the day ahead

Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum (which was free with our Kentucky Science Center membership--hooray!):
Another water table :) 
In the butterfly haven, which pictures can't do justice. There were hundreds of butterflies flying around us, landing on people, eating fruit, etc. It was very neat. 
Catching some playground time for our play-loving boy
A pretty walk down Fullerton to catch the train to...

 
Wrigley Field! 
Take me out to the ballgame!
Unfortunately, we didn't make it to the 7th Inning Stretch to sing that song, but we did make it through five innings, I think. Lewis was pretty good, considering it was right at the time he should have been napping. He didn't sit still for long and he kicked the guy in front of us a few times (by accident), but he still did pretty well.
Great seats
It was really chilly, though! We chose seats under the overhang because there had been a chance of rain, but the chance of rain diminished, and we were left sitting in the shade (in the 50s, I think). We survived.

Saturday:
Museum of Science and Industry (which was also free with our KSC membership):
Wow! I'm driving a huge tractor! 
It was SO big! 
Resting on one of the beds in the submarine area 
Checking out the model trains with Dada
He really seemed to like this area--he stopped and watched them for quite a long time (which is a rarity). 
This was how a lot of pictures turned out--as soon as we'd get into place, he'd squirm away and want to run onto the next thing. There was so much to see and do! 
Watching the freshly hatched chicks
(which I think I remember doing as a kid)
Hey, chickadees! 
He wasn't so sure about these balls hovering in the air. He kept his distance.
On the fake plane with Mama

We could have spent an entire day at the Museum of Science and Industry, especially as Lewis gets older. There really was so much to see and do, and we had to zip through it in just a few hours.

And then (after a bus and a train and a really long line to get through security), we were back to the plane, with just about 20 minutes until boarding time: 
Heading home

We did get kind of tired of having to find the elevators in the subway/everywhere and/or lugging the stroller and Lewis up multiple sets of stairs (why are your streets on different levels, Chicago?). :) I take for granted how easy it is to just jump in my car and go where I need to go. But Kevin reminded me that, through the bumps and mishaps and frustrations, we are making memories. He is such the rational and level-headed one--and that's why I love him. :) Great weekend, many memories.

4 comments:

  1. LOVE it! Looks like you had so much fun! Very worth the frustration. When I saw the chick pictures I immediately remembered all of us standing there watching the eggs hatch and then I read your comment about how you thought you remembered watching them as a child. Yes, we did! It was a favorite thing there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, good! I couldn't remember if it was there or a state fair. That museum is so awesome! We can't wait to go back.

      Delete
  2. Wow, very impressive! You guys did so much. It looks like a very successful trip. The coolest part is that Lew got to sit in the cockpit and push buttons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know--I didn't know they did that anymore! It was a treat--Kevin was up with him, taking pictures with his phone, and I was behind with the flight attendant. She could see him and said, 'Oh, he's pushing buttons!' and I said, 'HE'S PUSHING BUTTONS???' She said the pilot had said he could push certain ones. :)

      We had a great time--it was totally exhausting for all of us. Minor meltdowns at dinner both nights, but otherwise Lewis was a trooper. :)

      Delete