Sunday, January 12, 2014

Plumbing Problems

After spending approximately 44 hours without a kitchen sink this week, I think I now understand JUST what the plumber meant when he said not to overload the garbage disposal. And I now know that I'd never survive a kitchen renovation.

After cleaning out the freezer on Wednesday, I slowly dumped 4 pint-sized containers of 2-year-old marinara (from the Summer of Excess Tomatoes) down the disposal. I thought I ran enough water with it, but it was apparently too much for our pipes to handle. This was Wednesday night, in the middle of making dinner, with a dishwasher full and ready to run, and dinner dishes to be done. 

I tried everything that Google said to try. We plunged, we did baking soda and vinegar. I went to Home Depot and bought an auger/snake and snaked the line twice, but the clog still remained. I could have tried to open the clean-out in the basement and snake it from there, but that gave me visions of flooding our laundry room with ALL of the contents of our plumbing pipes, so I decided to call in a professional. And Kevin did the dishes in the bath tub, while I rinsed them in the tiny bathroom sink.

I called our usual plumber, but his number had been disconnected/changed since I last called him a few months ago. I called his office and his voicemail box was full. Hmmm. I asked Tonya for recommendations and asked Kevin to ask around at work, and I was given four options. I called one and also reached a disconnected number, and I started to wonder what was up. The two that Tonya recommended both answered and both said how busy they've been with freezing pipes and such this week, so I'm wondering if that's why numbers were changed. Anyway, I spoke to one on Thursday and one on Friday morning, and they both said they were busy but would work me in. Just as we were leaving the zoo on Friday, I got a call that one of them could come right away, so home we went.

The plumber said that there was a lot of food built up in the pipes, so the marinara must have been the perfect consistency to block it completely. I knew he had cleared the clog, but he and his son were still working away on something, so I peeked in and asked what was up. They were trying to improve our kitchen sink's water pressure, which made me laugh because our usual plumber was also trying to fix it last time. The pressure's been bad since we bought the house and we just live with it, but apparently it bugs those in the plumbing world. He also wasn't happy with how our disposal kicks water up into the other sink when it runs, so he fixed that, too! He only charged me the price he quoted over the phone, so I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

And I've learned my lesson. 'The garbage disposal is not a trash can.' Got it. :) 

4 comments:

  1. We had the exact same problem last week!!! Weird, but I did not dump a bunch of sauce down the drain ;) Apparently my grandpa put clogged their toilet after flushing Christmas turkey..I have no clue what he was thinking lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way! I wonder if the cold weather had anything to do with it...I'd MOSTLY thawed the marinara, but it did have some small chunks of tomatoes in it. Never again! :)

      Delete
  2. I never knew you got a disposal. I thought you decided against it. I put some heavy stuff in mine from time to time and think it's going to shake itself loose. I think you aren't supposed to put meat in but I do anyway. Glad you found an honest plumber!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did decide not to a few years ago because a few guys quoted me $200-250 to install it, and I thought that sounded too expensive. I met our usual plumber through Lowe's (he installed our water heater), and we hired him a few months ago to come out and fix a list of small problems that had been bugging me. He said it wouldn't be a problem at all to install a disposal while he was fixing the other stuff, so we went ahead with it! He charged me hourly instead of by the job, which was much more reasonable. :)

      Delete