Some resolutions for the new year:
Complain Less and/or Do More to Change Things Within my Control
I've been trying to do this the past few months and will try to continue. I had a couple of reflective days this fall and realized just how much I complain! Instead, I'm trying to do something about it. Most things truly are within my control, so it feels nice to see little changes happening.
Read More Books
Which I guess could also be 'Read less celebrity gossip websites, Facebook, CNN, etc.' The mindless internet time waste is such a waste, and I forgot how much I really like to read. I still have about 10 parenting books I should read, but I forgot how nice it is to read something I really want to read. I'm in the middle of Mindy Kaling's book right now and laughing out loud a lot. I need more of that! I have shelves of books downstairs that I've, at some point, wanted to read enough to buy them (for 50 cents at Goodwill, at least)--I need to get on that.
Do More for Others
I've been doing some volunteer park restoration work since Fall 2012, and that has been a nice dip back into my 'old' life, doing outdoor work I enjoy and getting to know people with interests similar to mine. It requires me to get Kevin or Kevin's parents to watch Lewis, though, so that sometimes is more hassle than it's worth. (I'm very thankful to them, of course.) I'm going to try to continue that work this spring, and I might look for something that Lewis can help with. I know that some places have age restrictions, so we might not be able to do much yet.
Do More, In General
It's hard on some days to feel like I'm accomplishing much of anything as a stay-at-home-mom (other than raising a good kid, I hope). It's just so different from a 9-5 job where you have a to-do list, you accomplish things, you get feedback from a boss, etc.
It's hard for me to feel good about cleaning a bathroom, for instance. [Though some days I think I should receive an award for cleaning a bathroom with a toddler trying to play in said bathroom at the same time, without losing my mind.] :)
I think what I mean is that I want to do more things that have meaning to me. For example, I enjoy making things, so I should make more things. Something like that. :) In addition to my 'job' of keeping the house clean-ish.
Work to Improve Daily Routine
Almost 3 years in, now, our daily routine is pretty set. There are still a few areas where we get caught up sometimes and have troubles, though...like at the end of the day when I'm trying to make dinner. I need to do a better job of thinking ahead and doing some prep work ahead of time, when needed. I enjoy cooking, but I also need to save some of the more complicated recipes for the weekends when Kevin is here to help with Lewis.
No comments:
Post a Comment