Friday was our last full day of vacation, so we spent the morning at the beach/pool, and then we decided to go into Wilmington to the train museum (because there was a chance of afternoon storms). In hindsight, Kevin and I would have enjoyed the day more just lazing around, but Lewis seemed to like the museum and ice cream afterwards.
Here are our last pics from the beach:
Catch me if you can, wave!
Look, Mom! A tiny, tiny shell!
I was glad that he actually got into looking for shells--he'd run up and show me when he found one he liked. We collected some to bring home with us--his favorites were the hinged ones that were still attached because they looked like butterflies.
We hit up the pool one last time, ate lunch, and then headed on our way. We decided to skip nap since he'd been napping 2 or even 3 hours in the afternoon all week (and the museum closed at 5pm). Of course just 15-20 minutes from the museum (it was in Wilmington), he fell asleep. We let him sleep a little in the car before waking him to go into the museum--he was instantly excited again, despite not getting enough sleep:
Parked at the museum, waiting
His favorite part was probably the big train out front (that I took his and Kevin's picture in front of). He was bummed that it didn't move, but he liked the sounds that they played inside that made it SEEM like we might possibly be moving. :)
And then we discovered that we could ring the bell. :)
It was very hot, especially inside the train. :)
Afterwards, we went to get some ice cream, followed by dinner:
Eating ice cream on a street corner in Wilmington
Cone first, of course, as he likes to do. :)
After dinner, we headed back to get Lewis to bed, pack up, and load the car. As I walked outside with some bags, I noticed that the sky was a very ominous shade of black, and it started to thunder and lightning. We ended up getting everything loaded up just before the storm reached us--I've never seen such crazy rain! We could barely see off of our patio, and I felt the building shake for a few seconds. I checked to see if we were under a severe threat, but there was nothing except a flooding advisory. I guess their storms are just different from our storms. It was crazy!
The apocalypse
So that was our trip! We had a great week and are already thinking of next year. The drive home was a little longer than we'd planned, due to hitting traffic a few times--we left Surf City at 8:15am and got home at 9:45pm. By 7pm, Kevin and I were defeated and ready to be home. Lewis only napped for an hour all day and was still up when we got home, but he was still pretty good in the car. We'd split the drive up on the way down, so the all day drive was a bit much, but we made it!
And while we were away, our yard/gardens/weeds went crazy, so I'll be spending the next week trying to get things under control again.






No comments:
Post a Comment