This past Saturday, we decided to go canoeing! We'd been talking about going since summer began, and this was our first weekend with good weather and without plans (except for a birthday dinner for Kevin at his parents' house on Saturday). I threw in the idea of stopping to let Lewis pick some blueberries on the way since I'd gone by myself this year (while Gma and Gpa T. had him). Since I'd already gotten the bulk of what we needed for the freezer, this was just more for the experience. We were there just around an hour, and I think we picked around 4 1/2 pounds (plus those that a certain 3-year-old ate). :)
Out into the blueberry rows, we go. :)
There was some picking on Lew's part, but let's be honest. :)
THIS was more like it.
I think right before this, he said, 'Blueberries are good, good, gooood.'
The blueberry farm was on the way, so we put the berries in a cooler and headed on out to Milltown to start our canoe trip:
Ready to go!
The tiny paddle was cracking me up. I wouldn't say he learned how to paddle effectively, but he instinctively knew how to put it in the water to slow us down! :)
Very excited Lewis, riding the school bus up to the drop-off site
Pit Stop for Lunch
He got in as Kevin and I were finishing lunch and said, 'Come on, I'm ready to go!'
By the end, we were so glad it was over. The last time we'd been there (when I was pregnant with Lewis), the water was really high and Kevin and I flew down the river (like, 7 miles in under 2 hours). This time, the water was really low, which meant we got stuck a lot and had to get out and walk through the shallow areas, and it took us the full 4 hours, plus time for lunch. Plus, we had a 45 pound toddler wanting to get up, lean over the side, and sit with Dad, then Mama, then Dad again. We never did tip, but there were a few times I thought we just might. We were/are both so sore, and we will have to keep this in mind the next time we plan a canoe trip. I think we said we'll go again, but next time will be kid-free and with beer, in order to improve the overall experience. :) At least I think Lewis had a good time. :)



No comments:
Post a Comment