Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Science Center on our Cultural Pass

Louisville has done a really neat thing this summer--they've created a Cultural Pass that parents/kids can pick up at the libraries, and with the pass, you can get into a bunch of different sites around town for free. There are historical sites, museums, the zoo, etc., so I'm going to try to get us to as many places as I can (around Lew's camps). [Here is the link to participating places.]

Last Monday I'd planned to go somewhere new, but Lewis voted for the Science Center (our membership has lapsed and we hadn't been in a while). There are quite a few places we've never been to that I'd like to check out, so hopefully we get to them. 

Here are our pictures from the Science Center. Lewis did a pretty good job of playing, though we did have to take a timeout to talk about taking turns and sharing (he got a a little hoarder-ish). He did better after our talk, so the morning ended well:
Get on the bus, Mama!
Loading up his excavator
Annoying the captain in the cockpit
The other boy in there was taking the whole captain/pilot thing very seriously and saying, 'Please take your seat, sir' and 'Please exit the cockpit, sir.' I was cracking up, but the captain/pilot kid was getting really annoyed by oblivious Lewis. Eventually Lew moved on.
Tackling the rope obstacle course
And then the hoarding begins. Just when I thought he couldn't hold anything else...
He found one more boat to hold (the red one).

Thankfully they got new raincoats that seemed to do a better job of keeping his shirt and shorts dry. His feet did get a little wet, I guess, and he went over (on his own) and dried them off:
:)
He could have stood up there forever, dropping his letters in the mail slot and retrieving them from the bottom.
This is when the whole taking turns issue came up--that little girl in the background wanted a turn, and he wasn't moving. After a little fussing, I told him that it was her turn to go and that he could go again when she was finished, and he actually stepped away to let her go (GO, Lew!). I was so proud of him in that moment.

We went into the little grocery store area, and he became obsessed with gathering as many silicone cupcake forms as he could find:
Exhibit A
He was happy to find an empty cart to empty them into and build upon his collection. :)
Checking out (what I call) the Rube Goldberg on the way out.
He could have stood here for awhile, too, watching the balls take different paths through the contraption.
Hey, everybody! There's a plane up there, everybody!
That's what he was saying (semi-screaming)--he was trying to point out an old airplane to everyone walking by.

We got home, and he wouldn't go down for nap in his room when I tried. In a first that I can recall, he passed out on the couch, watching TV:

If he'd just napped when he was supposed to, he wouldn't have had a crick in his neck!

No comments:

Post a Comment