Saturday, September 6, 2014

Weekend o' Fun in Cincinnati

Way back when, I bought a Groupon for The Beach in Cincinnati, thinking we could take Lewis for a special getaway before the baby arrives. We went the weekend before Labor Day--to the water park on Sunday and the Museum Center on Monday. We'd thought about the zoo, but that will have to wait for another time (too hot/humid for this mama). 

We left the camera and our phones in the car so that they wouldn't get wet, so we don't have any pictures from The Beach. It was a fun day--hot and humid, good for floating in the lazy river. They don't have much else for kids of Lew's size, so our options were pretty limited--I think the cut-off for water slides is 45 inches, so he needs to grow about 3 more inches. They did have a nice splash park-type area with sprayers and slides galore. He had a great time, riding the slides over and over (and over). It was complete and utter child anarchy, and he had a blast. He jumped right in with a group of other kids, all riding the slides one after another, and he'd come out of the slide just cracking up as they ran into each other at the bottom.


There's a new attraction that Lewis saw and wanted to do--it's called the Soaring Eagle, and it's a 2-person zip line that flies high over the big wave pool. Lewis met the height requirement, so he and Kevin decided to go for it. I wish I had pictures or video to show just how high they were a-flying, but I don't. I'm very glad that it wasn't me up there--Kevin said it was a little spooky at the highest point, but Lewis had a blast. 'I was FLYING, Mama!'


Our hotel had a Graeter's (ice cream) in the parking lot, so we thought we'd go get some ice cream that evening after dinner. Little did we know that it was National Waffle Day, which meant they were giving away free waffle cones, so the line was probably 30 minutes long. We persevered, though, and got to enjoy some of the best ice cream around. :) 


Enough words--onto pictures of Monday. We went back to the Cincinnati Museum Center, which has a children's museum, natural history museum, and history museum, all in one. We'd gone last year, too, but hadn't visited the history museum--it was the best part! Trains, streetcars, riverboats, and others of Lewis' favorite things:

Children's Museum:
 Fill 'er up!
 Scooping rocks at the construction site is serious business
 Doing some light grocery shopping
The scanner actually scanned the bar codes! My former 11-year-old self geeked out for a second--I used to want to be a cashier. :) 
 :)
In with the fish and turtles
 I love my boys.
 The woodlands/tree house climbing structure kept Lewis entertained for a while.
Until the water table caught his eye, of course. :)

Museum of Natural History & Science:
In the (fake) cave
Hanging out with a wolf, learning about glaciation :)

Cincinnati History Museum--I can't believe we didn't go here last time we visited:
 Toot toot!
One happy buddy. 
 Sitting in a streetcar, which might have been his favorite thing
It was hard to get him out of it.
 Rocking away the day in a little log cabin
There was a Stephen Foster impersonator in this area, so we sat and listened to some of his life story and songs (My Old Kentucky Home, Camptown Races, Oh Susanna!, etc.).
  A Cincinnati street, a long time ago
A riverboat, which he also really liked

We had a good time--it was a fun way to end the summer and spend time together before school started and before Baby #2 arrives. 7ish more weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment