I started a sewing project this week (a crib rail protector so Lewis can't gnaw off the finish)--after laundering my fabric, everything was, of course, a crinkly mess. Fine. I grabbed our iron but quickly realized that it was going to take me hours to iron out all of my fabric. And even after they were 'done' they were still wrinkly. I called Kevin, frustrated by how awful it was, and he informed me that the iron was his from COLLEGE--probably dating back 15 years. Needless to say, I scooped up Lewis and headed off to Target to find a new one. It was time.
I called Kevin who researched reviews on Amazon.com--we ended up going with a Black and Decker 'The Classic' model. I love it--Mom, I think I remember you having one when we were young. It's adorably retro-looking, but it has modern features like steam (wow!) and auto shut-off. Irons have come a long way in 15 years! I might just start ironing things more often.
The new Pampers Cruisers
We just received a new case of diapers last week, and they are SO greatly improved from the last case. They are softer, seem to have better absorbency and more absorbency square inch-age, and have new designs (better graphics, cute multi-colored dots, etc.). They are cute. I know it's stupid to think that diapers are cute, but they are. And so soft! (And yes, bad for Mother Earth.)
Fall Leaves
We are heading to the Bloomington/Brown County area this weekend, and B.C. is my favorite place to see the gorgeous fall colors!
Consignment Sales
Today I had a Consignment Sale moment. I went in with a short list of items to look for: childproofing supplies, baby gate, gear, toys. I forgot to look at clothes, but that's okay. He's good for now.
They did not have any childproofing supplies that I needed. However they did have TWO baby gates--one was a top-of-the-stair gate (it swings open/closed) that exactly matches another top-of-stair gate I found on craigslist last year. $5--sold! Now we can gate the top and bottom of our stairs to the basement. There is a door at the top, but I was uneasy about accidentally leaving it open when running downstairs. I also wanted to put one at the bottom of the stairs to keep him off of the landing/staircase.
Furthermore, I found a nice and tall pressure-mounted gate for $7 that exactly matches one that we bought for the dogs a few years ago and now use for Lewis. So now I can totally gate him into the living room AND be coordinated, doing so. :) You know how I love for things to match.
I found some awesome books, a few ziplocs of train track pieces, a nice wooden ABCs puzzle, and another Miracle Blanket that I've heard such great things about. One more next week, and the 'season' is over for me.
I'll post pictures of his crib rail protector once it is finished. I just need to iron it (my new favorite thing to do) and then topstitch it. It definitely takes longer to get things finished with an active baby in the house!
I'm a little worried about you over this ironing thing- I thought I taught you better than that!! Ha! Permanent press all the way! sounds like you had a great day, have a fun weekend
ReplyDeleteHaha, Mom! Don't worry--I only iron for sewing, and Kevin does it himself when he needs a shirt ironed. Luckily we don't own many clothes that require ironing. It is amazing how quickly this new one does the job, though--before, we'd go over the same spot over and over, tried to 'steam' it (which I now see what steam is REALLY supposed to be like!!), and starch.
ReplyDeleteDid you have this same iron, Mom? It really looks so familiar to me.