Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Goodbye, Tomatoes...I'm Not Sure I Ever Want to See You Again

I slaughtered the tomato plants this morning. To say it was satisfying is an understatement. :) They'd slowed down production the past few weeks, and the cherry (tomato) plant was starting to block the sidewalk where the garage's side door is. It was time. :)

A few last shots of the cherry (hiding the 2nd tomato plant somewhere in there), in all her glory:
 
 If you can't tell, she is planted on the left end and has spread allllll the way to the right end of the raised bed.
 Mighty root ball (of the cherry)

And after the slaughter:
 
 Lewis, helping me scoop the dirt out, one handful at a time, onto the patio...
Three lawn bags full
I really hope all of the rotten tomatoes that dropped don't try to come back next year. I'm not sure that I want that many tomatoes ever again.

All that's left now is a sweet bell pepper plant. I thought those were a 'summer' thing, but they've just shown up over the past month or so. I guess we'll taste them soon and see if they are any good. I would say the garden's successes were tomatoes, zucchini, and basil (and maybe bell pepper). The failures were peas, green beans, and strawberries, all of which were shaded out by the cherry tomato plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment