We borrowed Cars from Ben and Adie, so Kevin and Lewis sat down to watch it Saturday morning. Just the opening credits blew Lew's mind--he was pointing and 'Dah!'-ing and so excited to see all of the characters from his books on the TV. I think he made it about 30 minutes before he got up and wandered to his room. He and I had gone to free movies over the summer, and he averaged around 30-45 minutes with those, too. Hopefully it captures his attention for a bit longer (or at least in multiple spurts) on our road trip to Michigan this weekend. :)
I was creeping around taking pictures of Lewis' reactions:
Woooooow!
Dad, that's MATER!
Following along with his book :)
It's Lightning McQueen!
After he was done with the movie, they went to play out in the backyard/pick up poo. Kevin called me out to come and see what Lewis was doing to 'help'--he was picking up leaves and pulling grass to put in the poop bag. Such a good little helper (if only we can tweak his skills a bit).
After (a great) nap, we headed out to the U of L football game! The weather was perfect, the Cards won, and Lewis did really well sitting in our laps for almost the entire game. I took him to get our stroller with about six minutes to go in the 4th quarter because he started to get squirrel-ly and the game was starting to get close (so the guy behind us was yelling a lot).
Like father, like son
Trying on Dad's hat
WTF?!
He's started throwing one hand up in the air and holding it there, like 'What the heck?' He was doing it at the game, and I'm not sure if that guy in the background was copying him or if it's just a coincidence that he, too, has one hand up like 'What the heck?' Either way, it's funny.
Sunday morning, I went to see a movie (Pitch Perfect--cute!) while Kevin took Lewis to his parents' house. On my way home, I started getting texts from Kevin saying that Lewis was climbing out of the crib and wasn't napping. After the first few times, he also figured out how to open his bedroom door (which is a new skill). By the time I got home, he had that look in his eye that it was a game and that he was not going to nap. We tried for a little while longer and then gave up (so frustrating!).
We headed out to the U of L basketball scrimmage game that afternoon. Awesome seats--12th row, center court. That was where the awesomeness ended. :)
Watching the intros (with the lights out)
Nice and close
Coach Pitino
[Damn that shadowy spot in our camera!!]
He sat still for about 20 minutes, and then our stall tactics (which worked fine at the football game on Saturday) failed. Snacks were eaten, but he was still wild. I tried to hold him/tried to let him stand on my legs, but he started bouncing, then yelling, then pinching me. He cried if Kevin tried to hold him. So awesome. We tried to make it until the end of the first half, but we had to get up and exit with about six minutes left, I think. He was the classic example of being overtired, and it was awful!
Sooooo, we went out for wings and beer because they always make everything better. :)
Big Boy drinking his milk
He's still not big into coloring, so instead he crumpled up the coloring page they gave him, threw it down, tried to eat the crayon, etc.
Lawd, help us...
Wild Man Lew
Why, yes, that IS a crayon in his mouth.
So Saturday was great, Sunday was pretty horrible. We tried to put him down early on Sunday night, but he was still climbing out relentlessly. Not sure what our options were/are, I installed the crib tent (I found a brand new one at Goodwill last month in case of emergency/last resort). So for now, we're going with that. I'm reading up on the Super Nanny, too--apparently she has a good method for getting kids to stay in their bed, so we might give that a shot (if he's old enough to 'get' it).
We have also decided to push his bedtime later to see if that will help him sleep in a bit. The past few weeks, he's been waking up at 6 or 6:30am, and that's only 10 or 10 1/2 hours of sleep when he's supposed to be getting 11-12 hours overnight right now. He's been running on a sleep deficit for a while now, so we're going to try putting him down later to see if he'll sleep in later. If that totally backfires (if he still wakes up early thereby sleeping even less), we'll try starting bedtime earlier (because I've also read that putting them to bed earlier can make them sleep later). The adventures of parenthood continue. :)
Ha, ha and ha. I am so excited for Lew and Juni to give it another whirl at Grandma and Grandpa's house in a few weeks! I think he can take her this time around! Plus, being on neutral ground, maybe Juni will be less of a turd! Love you guys!
ReplyDeleteLove you guys and me toooooo (can't wait)! I, too, think it will be a much fairer fight, and Juni is not a turd--she is two (years old)!
Delete