I have a bunch of pictures to sort through from our weekend in Michigan with Joe and Polly, but first I wanted to share the madness that one little 30 pounder can create. :)
Last Wednesday evening, our house was burning up. It had been in the 80s for a few days and I'd had the oven on and I'd mowed the yard (at nap) and had just been sweating all afternoon and could not cool down. I finally couldn't take it and tried to turn the air conditioning on just to cool off the house for a few hours.
Well, the AC wouldn't turn on. I automatically got mad and figured it was broken. We decided not to worry about it and said we'd have it serviced sometime between now and next summer.
Thursday morning I woke up to cooler-than-usual water in the shower, so I told Kevin (a hot shower person) about it, and he went down to see what was wrong. The water heater (I should say, newer than a year water heater) was dead! However, when he tried to plug it into a new outlet, it worked! We've had to replace another outlet and a light switch in the laundry room in the past 6 months, so I figured the outlet was just bad and needed replaced, too (everything looked good in the breaker box). Lewis and I went to Home Depot Thursday morning and got a new outlet to be installed when I had time. We left it plugged into a different outlet with an extension cord over the weekend because I ran out of time on Thursday before we left.
So we left for Michigan Thursday, had a great weekend (where a huge cold front moved through), and returned home last night to our house being a chilly 59 degrees!!! I then literally got mad and thought our house was shutting down around us and left to pick up the dogs while Kevin stayed back to feed Lewis his dinner. About 10 minutes away from home, Kevin called and said that he fixed all of our heating and cooling problems. Me, ever the skeptic, said, 'You DID?'
Apparently, there is one switch, PERFECTLY at Lewis' level that controls the furnace and air conditioner, as well as the outlet that the water heater plugs into. Someone (Wild Man Lew) is obsessed with light switches and must have flipped the switch sometime last week and turned all three off in one beautifully innocent swipe of a finger. Lewwwwiiiiissss!
So, all is well again, thank goodness. I'm really glad Kevin figured it out and we didn't call out all of the professionals to have it fixed.
oh, sweet Lewis!!! Better put some duct tape over that switch!!
ReplyDeleteYeah, totally! I think I have a childproofing cover for an outlet that didn't work where I needed it to--I'm wondering if that would fit over the light switch plate. I'll give it a shot. If nothing else, duct tape. :)
Delete