Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Lewis' First Camping Trip!

So we FINALLY took Lewis camping, and it was a success! This weekend we went up to Yellowwood State Forest (just outside of Bloomington) to meet up with Ben and Adie. Will, Julia, and Carter spent Saturday with us, too, and we even got a visit from Banjo Joe (Bolinger) on Saturday evening. It was great to see everyone and to be outside--we had perfect weather except for some wind and sprinkles Sunday morning. We'd planned to stay out through lunch, but knowing that Ben and Adie's house was only 15-20 minutes away made it an easy decision to go ahead and pack up and head there for a little while.

Lewis took a nap on Saturday, which was a minor miracle. He popped out of his Pack n Play as soon as I put him in it, so Kevin (the saint) stayed in the tent with him and kept him in it until he fell asleep. We didn't pay attention to what time it was, but I know it was at least an hour. Victory.

Then it was time to hike!  
 
Yellowwood Lake
 
 
Letting the wild beast roam free (for a minute) 
 Happy hikers

When we got back to the campsite, Will and Julia put Carter in his cool exersaucer-type thing--Lewis was pretty good with him, but he kind of got excited and started flailing his arms Carter's way (which made me nervous that he was going to whack Carter by accident).
 
Lewis - 20 months, Carter - 5 months 

Joe brought along his banjo and treated us to a wonderful pre-dinner concert. (He has played banjo for as long as I've known him and is a member of The Indiana Boys.) 
 
 
  Lewis was totally in awe!
 
 Eating corn straight out of the can, in true camping style. :) 
 For my sweet sister--I was thinking of you all weekend and wishing you were there with us! You were there in (beer coozie) spirit. :)
 
 One of Lew's new favorite things to do is point out our body parts (and the dogs' too)...it's fine until he pokes our eyes our jams a finger up my nose. :)
 
Camping is so great!

I didn't take any pictures on Sunday morning because we were cooking breakfast with it sprinkling, and I was also trying to pack up our belongings in case it started to pour. Lewis slept all night, thank goodness. He woke up at 7am, which is actually 'sleeping in' a little compared to what he's been doing lately. We ate breakfast and then headed out around 10:30, I think.

Driving out of the woods to Ben and Adie's, I literally pulled over to take a picture like 7 times. It was SO gorgeous--the leaves were beautifully colored and the wind was whipping them all over the place. Something about being back on the gravel roads of Brown County... :)
 
 
 
We had to cross the creek in a few spots.
 
So pretty.

We hung out for a few more hours and had lunch before hitting the road back to Louisville. Great weekend with great friends.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was, and thanks again for letting us borrow your tent! Couldn't have done without it!

      Delete
  2. Oh how fun. I think of you every time I use my coozy too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best mutual sister purchase ever. Makes me laugh every time. :)

      Delete