Sunday, September 29, 2013

A Day on the Farm

Last week, Lewis and I visited a family farm with Tonya and Carlton (it's called Gallrein Farms and is in Shelby County, KY). On the weekends, they have a tractor barrel train ride, a hayride to the pumpkin patch, Punkin Chunkin (slingshot+pumpkin at a target), and a few other kid-friendly activities. We visited during the week so there wasn't as much to do, but we were still able to visit the market, petting zoo, and corn maze.

But first, Carlton and Lewis took off for the tractor train as soon as we arrived:
 Each of the barrels (you can sort of see them behind the tractor) is painted in John Deere colors and has its own steering wheel. Lewis would love it if we ever return on a weekend!
 Snuggling with a (friendly) farm dog in the shop :)
 Taking turns on the kid-sized tractor

Outside the shop they have a large greenhouse and covered dining area (for the weekends). Of course L&C found a cart out there to pull around:
 
 
 Lewis really seemed to like riding on his chariot, and Carlton really seemed to like pulling him around--so it worked out well! :)

The petting zoo:
 
 
 

The corn maze:
 :)
 Lewis' up-to-no-good face, combined with Carlton's running away, makes me smile. :) 
We only went a little ways into the maze before the boys went off trail and into the corn. Once we got them back out to the path, we chose to go back to the entrance vs. risking a helicopter rescue from somewhere deep in the maze. :)

Feeding the fish/duck:
 
 :)
We didn't have any more quarters for the feed machine, but we picked up some pieces that others had dropped on the deck. The slats of the railing were a few inches too far apart for my liking, though, so we didn't spend much time up there.

Tunnel fun:
 
 
 
:) I love how L&C's feet are off the ground in the last two pics. They were bouncing and yelling and having a grand old time. :)

It was a fun (and dirty) morning! Although I know Lewis would've liked to do some of the weekend-only activities, we still had a good time with what was available.

2 comments:

  1. Kristen these are great! You've got a great eye with the camera. This outing seemed like a hectic morning (mainly because I'm chasing Carlton sooo much these days on a painful heel), but when it is rolled out in pictures, boy what a good time we had!!! I am up to returning with the men (and the little men) on a weekend so we can hayride and tractor barrel ride and whatever else they have going on; let's get something on our calendars!

    Ok, you know I want a copy of the from behind photo of the boys at the duck/fish pond (love, love, love this one!!!), Lewis riding/Carlton pulling/me in it (I have so few pic of me IN the photo w/Carlton) and corn pic with Lewis smiling and Carlton running away (love it)! That's all I can think of, those where all such great pics. I like the sheep face pic you got, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We did have a good morning out there (despite duck/goose poop and goat slobber). :) I will get those pictures to you, for sure! And I'll email you with weekends we could do in Oct. :)

      Delete