I kept meaning to write a garden wrap-up post but didn't get around to it, so here is the nitty gritty:
I'll never plant tomatoes in containers again because they became too top heavy, needed more room to root, and didn't produce well or green up well at all. Green beans were amazing. 1st batch of peas was great--we'll see how 2nd batch goes. Basil is my favorite and we have a freezer full of pesto to last us through the winter.
Done. Literally, too, I guess--one night last week I decided things were looking like they were peacing out, so I pulled everything except the basil and the 2nd batch of peas. It kind of hasn't sunken in yet that it's practically mid-September already.
Sooo, with that, we now have an empty 'dirt box' that Carlton and Lewis decided to play in the other evening (Tonya, I think that must have been how the bottoms of Carlton's feet turned black):
It was fine, and I really didn't mind them driving the dump trucks through it and jumping around. I drew the line, though, when they started digging up a shovelful of dirt and dumping it in the grass. I took the shovels away and they moved on to something else...the sandbox, a different kind of dirty. :)
This picture I either took this morning or yesterday morning (did I mention we've been a bit busy and I forget which day is which?):
Lew's Strawberry Train with Banana Tires
On second thought, I know it was this morning because we bought fresh strawberries at the grocery yesterday afternoon. I digress. Anyway, Lewis loves fruit, and lately he's been loving Banana Tires. I break off pieces of the banana into small tire-like discs, and we use them to add wheels to his cup, bowl, etc. to make it more fun to eat (in theory). It usually works well, though he'd probably eat the banana regardless because he loves bananas. Anyway, today he decided to make a Strawberry Train to go with his tires. He's been really into making his own train tracks (we've been working on resourcefulness and imagination), so today the tracks were straight out of a Strawberry Shortcake (the cartoon) dream. Yum!
Also this morning, I was running around getting things ready for guests and for shopping a consignment sale today with Maria. While I was clearly not paying attention to what Lewis was doing, he did this:
So helpful!
He cleared my whole shelf of cookbooks and put them in the cart that I needed to take with us to the sale. Just one more thing to tidy up--no big deal, Lew. :) I'm also cracking up at his face in the above picture--that little tongue sticking out is exactly what Kevin does when he's thinking/problem-solving.
The sale was great, chaos, madness, etc. as usual. As I mentioned, Lewis has been very big into making his own train tracks out of whatever he has nearby (or imaginary ones). He has the standard wooden ones, but he likes to make tracks out of blocks, soft plush letters of the alphabet, his Bristle Blocks, etc. It's fun to watch him get excited as non-train track things become linear and, thus, track-like enough for his sake.
He's also recently started asking to drive his cars on a race track. We have a small one that he lost interest in months ago, so I was happy to find this slightly more exciting one today for him for only a few dollars. He loves it--as soon as I figured out how in the world to assemble it (thanks, Google), he spent a good half hour playing with it before Maria, Clara, and Amelia came over for dinner.
One happy boy
Thanks, Grandpa Thompson for the latest batch of Hot Wheels--two of them were the perfect size for this track. An unexpected bonus was the crane that is a part of it. Cranes happen to be up there in his Top 5 Favorite Construction Trucks, I'd say, so he was excited.
And THAT brings us up to date for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment