Thursday, September 12, 2013

Carter Family Reunion and Catching Up

Things seem to have gotten really busy the past few weeks! Sporadic usage of the camera, so prepare for jumbles.

First, I finally captured a picture of the hawk who likes to hang out on our fence from time to time. Every other time I've seen him, he'll drop off into the neighbors' yard before I can get my camera out. Lew and I stepped outside the other day to close the gate (to let the dogs out) when I saw him. I slowly backed us inside the house so I could grab my camera and thought he'd surely move, but he stayed there through me opening/closing a window (trying to take a picture from far away), opening/closing the door (again), closing the gate (which is kind of loud), and creeping up to within 10 feet of him for a closer picture. He finally did drop down on the other side of the fence as I got near him, but it was still neat to get my nature nerd on in the city.
 [Insert lame What's up, hawk? joke here.]
It's the best I can do. :)

The Carter Reunion was last weekend! We had a great time, great turnout, great food. (And Sharon, Kevin finally got his wish about the chocolate eclair cake--there were so many other desserts to choose from, ours barely got touched. We ate leftovers for days.)
 Lewis was saying Whee!
He insisted on Mama getting on this whirly thing with him, so Kevin was spinning both of us (I sucked it up and joined him even though I get really woozy on spinning things in my older age). :) It's fun playing on the same playground equipment we grew up on. Lewis managed to get a nice gash on his forearm (you can see it in the close-up pic above) and it was a pretty hot and humid day, but otherwise he had a great time and we were glad to see everyone.
 Dancing Lew
Some of the younger cousins were playing music on their phones, so Lewis was dancing (One Direction...they schooled us on them since we're old and just don't know what is cool and hip anymore). :)

Another day, not sure which one, we were playing outside in the sandbox and Lewis was a mess (as usual). I stripped his clothes off outside and sprayed him down with the hose and then I just put him in a clean diaper for the rest of the evening. He was playing and carrying around his towel while I started dinner, and then I heard him say Hiiiiiiii! Hi guys! and found him here, with his legs covered up by the towel:
Silly Buddy
He was sitting in the extra dining chair , smiling and waving hi. I thought it was really funny at the time--it hit me at that magical hour between 5:30 and bedtime when things get hectic and I tend to be most stressed, so it was a welcome laugh and smile.

1 comment: