Friday, October 25, 2013

Trunk or Treat

Tonight we went to Lewis' school for their trunk-or-treat event! Lewis is a race car driver this year for Halloween. He's really into racing things right now, so it worked out well. We already had his costume supplies on hand--I'd bought the race car costume on 90% clearance last year at Target (so I think it was just a few dollars), and I'd found a race car driver pajama set at Goodwill a few months ago (unintentionally) for $1.50, so his costume was cheap and easy.

As I mentioned, Kevin came up with the idea of he and I joining in on the fun as the pit crew, so this week I was focused on coming up with our get-ups. I found two coveralls at The Unique (thrift store), so I added a few duct tape stripes to them to unify us (for added 'racing flair' and because they were two different colors of coveralls). I appliqued Lew's Racing to the back along with some checkered flags (his pajamas also have checkered flags, so we matched).

The final piece was our trunk decoration. I made a sign for Lew's Garage, and we put his Thomas ride-on toy and John Deere ride-on toy on display in the back of my car. We set out some of his plastic tools that a pit crew might use, and we added some glow sticks to make the candy more visible. Much to my surprise, the kiddos wanted the glow sticks more than the candy! They took all of them (which I didn't care about at all)--I was just surprised. We set the candy out and roamed as a unit for a while, and then I went back to man the car to make sure that people were taking plenty of candy.

Here are some pictures of our outing:
 Ready for trick-or-treating action!
Fittingly enough, right after I took this picture, he took off vroom-vrooming and running through the parking lot. The costume couldn't have occurred at a more fitting time in his life. Haha. :)
 Dropped some candy? Don't worry--Lew will pick it up.
 :)
 Big Lew and his pit crew
 Trying to pose, but all he wanted to do was get in the car and dig into his stash.
Ahhh, what a beautiful Rolo.

It was a fun event! I got to talk to his teacher for a little while, too, which was nice. I'm really hopeful that, come Monday, he'll be all better and can go back at school. 

No comments:

Post a Comment