Sunday, April 15, 2012

14 Months Old

14 Months Old
His stats (from BabyCenter):
Length/Height: 33 inches (above 95th percentile)
Weight: 26.6 pounds (between 75th and 90th percentile)
Head Size: 20 inches (above 95th percentile)


His head size is the same as last month, but he's gained almost 2 pounds and 1.25 inches this month! Whoa! I thought he's been looking bigger.


What he is doing this month:
  • Clapping - This is something I kept meaning to teach him but kept forgetting, but now we've practiced and he 'gets' it and does it at random. He also likes to grab our hands to make them clap instead of his own because ours make a louder noise (for now). He also really likes banging a hand on things (like he's drumming)--the couch, the coffee table, etc. 
  • Speaking of banging, he has started to kind of hump the floor! :) Not really, I suppose, but it sure looks like it. It's like he's dancing, but dancing laying down. It happens at random (my parents got to see it last weekend). I think he's just happy. :)
  • Climbing - On everything. The topless train table (he still climbs up and over the frame and the drawers and support bars), the couch, the ottoman, the coffee table, his wooden slide in the basement (he climbs up the ladder and then falls off the top or slides down face first, butt first, half on/half off), the baby gate (but just off the ground a few inches for a few seconds, then back to Earth). He finally 'gets' how to slide off feet first from the couch and ottoman now (after a few accidental head dives).
  • Eating - He is doing better with taking yogurt from a spoon. He is still refusing most green vegetables. I'm going to try to make some spinach nuggets to see if he'll eat them (they have spinach, breadcrumbs, and cheese...people say they aren't bad, though the pictures I've seen look kind of bad/scary).
  • Drinking - He LOVES his milk! He's started downing almost a full sippy cup at each mealtime, and then he has water at other times throughout the day. I'm trying to keep water with us when we run errands, go for a walk, etc. to get both of us more in the habit of drinking it (I'm really bad about sustaining on coffee and McDonald's Diet Coke).
  • Sleeping - He is fluctuating between 1 and 2 naps a day the past few weeks. Since the time change, he has started sleeping 'in' until 8am. Because of this later wake-up time (it used to be 7 or 7:15), I've been putting him down for his morning nap around 11am--some days he wakes up after 1 1/2 hours or so, and some days he sleeps 2 1/2 to 3 hours. So on days with a longer nap, I just keep him up the rest of the day. On days with anything less than 2 hours, I still put him down for a nap at 4pm, and he'll sometimes sleep for 45 minutes to an hour (sometimes he just lays in there and talks to himself the whole time). 
  • Talking - In addition to a few 'words', he has started babbling something like derda-derda-derda-derda (while trilling his tongue a little, too). It's really funny to watch him and listen as he goes on and on. I wonder what he thinks he is saying. I also wonder what his voice will sound like when he talks. His 'words' right now are: Mama, Dada, Hattuh (Hattie), DAHS! (Dogs, and it is always yelled), Na-Na-Na! (said snarkily, is No, No, No!), not to be confused with Nanana (but I don't know what he's trying to say there), and Da?/Da! ('What is that?' He'll point to something in a book and day Da! or Da? and Kevin or I will say what it is).
  • Talking BACK - Not really, but when I say 'No!' he has started saying 'Na-na-na' back to me. If I say 'No, no!' he'll say 'Na, na!' with ever-the-slightest snark to his voice. It's pretty funny, for now--might not be so funny as he gets older. :)
  • Understanding us, a little - When we say, 'Okay, are you ready to go?' he will run to the back door. When I tell him to put some sort of food in his mouth, he will put it in his mouth. When we're in the basement and say that we're ready to go upstairs, he'll run to the gate.
  • Yelling at the dogs - When we go to get the dogs inside, he will run to the door with us and start yelling out 'DAHS! Derda-derda-derda-derda!' Kevin and I both have sort of a fake yelling voice that we use sometimes to get the dogs in (more stern than our usual), and I think Lew has picked up on that. It's hilarious to hear him yelling at them. I guess we need to start watching our tone, in general. :)
  • He and the dogs are getting along well. The dogs love mealtimes and snack time because they usually get to help clean up the floor and/or his tray, and Lew or I will occasionally sneak them a Goldfish or animal cracker. Big fans.
  • He has started acting out occasionally. If I pick him up, away from something he was doing, he'll throw his head/torso back in protest. A few times he's caught me off-guard and nearly jumped out of my arms and/or arched his back a little scarily. I'm really cautious now about holding the back of his neck when I pick him up. 
  • Clothing - He is now in 18 month pants/shorts, 12 or 18 month t-shirts, 18 month onesies, and barely in his 18 month sleepers (ready to jump up to 24 month/2T size soon).
  • Current Tooth Count - 12! Four molars finally came in this month!

One last thing--I saw paw prints in our new garden bed this morning and blamed the tomcat who hangs out in our yard (until Peter and Hattie chase him off). Then I looked out the window again and saw HATTIE inside the bed, eating away on the manure! I got her inside and left Pete out--when I went to get him inside, he was at least standing outside the bed, but had his snout in there, sniffing and nibbling away. Soooo, yeah. Might have to put up some fencing. :)

2 comments: