Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Oh, Is THAT What You Had in Mind? (An Update on Solids)

I really appreciate the input and tips from everyone about solids! It's comforting to know that I'm in good company and that this is just one of the many phases we'll go through in the great adventure of parenthood. I'm trying to just go with it.

As for yogurt, we have been able to give him 2-3 bites from our spoon (an improvement from last week), and then he decides he's done (throws up his hands/lashes away from the spoon). I've tried handing him an empty spoon, but he doesn't seem interested (puts it down). I've tried putting some yogurt on the spoon for him (usually with the spoon in his hand, and I guide his hand and the spoon as we scoop a little yogurt from the bowl together) with about a 30% spoon-to-mouth success rate (he usually turns it upside down on the way to his mouth and loses most of the spoonful). It seems like all he wants is the bowl. In his hands. Yogurt all over the place. Bowl smashed on his face. Licking the bowl. Biting the bowl. Rubbing yogurt everywhere. A total mess.
 
 
Do I have something on my face?
 
So it's definitely not the taste of the yogurt! He actually seems to love it.

He also figured out how to dip his Cheerios and grapes in the yogurt this morning, too--I was just going to video him making a mess, but he surprised me with a little dipping action. You can see a little face-in-bowl action, as well. :)

I went to Target today (and I will add here again how much I HATE the carts at our Target--they are the poorest possible cart design ever developed and they make me so angry). It was a rough trip. Anyway, while we were there, I found a spoon like the one below that you fill with food and then squeeze out onto the spoon. The thought is that we can just hand it to him and he can squeeze it out, eliminating the need for a bowl (for now). He's been doing well with the fruit/vegetable puree squeeze pouches the last few weeks, so we thought we'd give this spoon a try.
Munchkin 4 Ounce Easy Squeezy Spoon
If it doesn't work, I also have suction cup-bottomed bowls I can try (but I have heard/have experienced myself that the suction doesn't always hold up to strong toddler grasps).

As you people suggested, I can also look for thicker yogurt that he can eat with his hands, and/or I can make the frozen yogurt drops that he can pick up and eat.

If nothing works, we might just be starting our days out with a yogurt facial every morning. :) And that is okay.

5 comments:

  1. He loves yogurt so much that he just can't eat it fast enough! Spoons are so cumbersome. Who needs them? :)

    I love that he totally tricked you with his sophisticated dipping. Want some really, really good thick Greek yogurt? It's very high in fat and calories (okay for him...less so for us). It's the Zoi brand Honey flavored. You will thank me/hate me for it. It is so, so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Schwee! I looked for Greek yogurt the other day, but I only saw 0% and 2%. I don't remember seeing that brand--is it in with the regular yogurt or over in the organic food section, you think?
      There was a lady giving out samples of a kid-specific Greek yogurt the other day on a quick trip to Kroger, but we didn't stop to learn more.
      The 'special spoon' is about a 60/40 success--he will eat from it, but we have to squeeze the yogurt out for him b/c he hasn't figured out how yet. But maybe he will. He has eaten more yogurt in the past 24 hours than the past week combined, so I guess that is a success. :)

      Delete
    2. This is exactly what Huck looks like EVERY morning. I second Em on the honey ZOI yogurt - usually we stick to plain but he really digs the honey stuff. We also buy Chobani.

      Seriously, though, yogurt is good for the skin.

      Delete
    3. Every morning? Okay. I usually tidy up his face as he eats, but I guess I should just let it be, huh. I can do that. And I'll look for those 2 brands the next time I go to the store. Thanks, ladies. :)

      Delete
    4. Well, it appears the Zoi brand has not yet hit the dirty south/Ohio River Valley/Kentuckiana. :) I looked in the organic and regular sections, and I didn't see that brand. The Greek brands they did have were either 0, 1, or 2%, not 4. I'll look at another Kroger when I go.

      Delete