Monday, April 30, 2012

Discovery Day

While Kevin was flipping through pamphlets from his race's goodie bag, he found that there was a Discovery Day for kids today down on the waterfront as part of the Kentucky Derby Festival (the actual horse race is on Saturday). We weren't sure if the weather would hold out, but it did, so Kevin met Lewis and I down there for an hour or so today. We had a really nice time! 

They had carnival rides, carnival food, inflatables, a zip line, a handful of information booths from local museums/organizations, a soccer clinic, and a local theater company doing storytime. While we waited for Kevin, Lewis enjoyed watching the big whirly rides from his stroller (that made me want to puke just watching them). Once Kevin got there, we each took him on a ride--I rode with him on his first carousel ride, and Kevin took him down the 'Fun Slide' (one of those really, really tall slides with multiple 'drops' that you fly down on a potato sack). They FLEW down that thing--I got a really funny picture of Kevin scrambling to his feet with Lew in his lap. After the rides, we headed over to storytime and got to see three books performed on stage. He seemed interested in the performance, so that was fun to see! Animal crackers and being strapped into the stroller helped, I'm sure. :)

Here are some pictures:
Watching the Big Kids 
He was so interested in the whirly rides--like a mix between "Wow, mind blown. I've never seen anything like this!" and "When can I do that, Ma?"

The Carousel with Mama 
It was (surprisingly really) fast, so Kevin had trouble getting a decent picture while we were moving. We snapped the 2nd one once it had stopped, and here is a short video Kevin took.

The Fun Slide with Papa
Kevin and Lewis were in the pink lane, and Kevin said he almost took out the kid sitting next to them (by accident). Kev was afraid he and Lew might fly off the mat at the bottom and into the barrier, so he tried to spring up quickly to avoid doing so. Lewis seemed to enjoy it! It was a little sketchy, but what carnival ride isn't? :) 

Storytime
Like I said, he was pretty into it! The actors did a really good job of making things silly and/or over-the-top, so it kept the kids' attention. I'm not sure what the first book was because we walked up after it had already begun (there were lots of interactive barnyard noises happening), but the other two they read were Olivia and Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! 

It was a fun outing--I'm glad Kevin was able to meet up with us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment