Thursday, August 30, 2012

And, Nevermind

Thankfully the crib goes back together as easily as we took it apart--we made the decision tonight to go back to the full crib set-up. 

After him waking up this morning at 6:30am, not napping at naptime (for the 3rd day), crashing for about 30 minutes in the car while we were couch shopping, and then not falling asleep at bedtime tonight, we decided he is way too overtired and too young to be going through this.

Tonight, we put him to bed a little after 6:30pm since he's been SO tired all day, but we could hear him up and around, saw him poking his hand under the door, and then finally discovered that he'd puked by the door. I gave him a bath while Kevin reassembled the crib, and we are currently (at 8:30pm) still waiting for him to fall asleep. He is a hot mess!

I finally went down this evening to retrieve our favorite sleep book (The SleepEasy Solution) to see what they suggest--they recommend making the transition closer to 3 years old which is so far off from 18 1/2 months. So for now, we've put the pillows on the floor around his crib, have him back in a sleep sack, and will hope for the best. He's only ever climbed out in the morning when he's ready to get up (while we're still asleep and haven't heard him yet), so I wonder if he will maybe eventually be able to climb out safely?? I'm not sure what we're doing yet, but we are NOT doing the toddler bed for now.

I mean, really:
Saddest thing.

9 comments:

  1. Raising children is almost always trial and error. it was worth a shot. did you try it turned around so it's taller in front? It was pretty sad to see him so upset after the naptime failure for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we haven't try turning it around yet. Today he went from being lethargic/sleepy to being wild and running around with boundless energy (which I know means that he was exhausted). Hopefully tonight he can have a semi-normal night of sleep (I might let him sleep in a little if I can) and then a good solid nap tomorrow to get him back on track. :(

      Delete
  2. I think you guys did the right thing. The transition to big boy bed is PAINFUL and he's too young. You need to put it off as long as humanly possible. Best of luck. I hope he doesn't start getting out of it more frequently!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maggie! I was going to email you (before we decided to go back to the crib). I'm going to run out in the morning and take a look at a crib tent I saw at the consignment sale to see if it might be a solution for us. Bad choices! :)

      Delete
  3. Good Lord, at least he sleeps by himself! We've tried everything, but both my kiddos still end up sleeping with us every night. Huck literally leaps out of the crib in a single bound (so he starts there with a bounty of pillows to break his fall - like Lew), and Del has the most pathetic cry you ever heard. Also, we only have one! I think it's because I have zero patience but sheesh lawdamercy! The hand under the door kills me, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, sheesh lawdamercy. :) Love you, Alycia. I'm wondering if, now that he's been through the trauma of a toddler bed, he'll stay in the crib out of fear of it being converted again? We'll see.

      Delete
    2. Juni and I are just glad Joe's gone again so he doesn't take up the whole dern bed! Nighty night!

      Delete