Saturday, January 19, 2013

Bye, Bye Table and Hello, Squirrels!

I mentioned last week that we needed to sell our table and get a normal-height one (so that Lewis didn't fall off and break his arm). Yesterday, I did it! Yesterday morning, I was feeling particularly motivated, so I scrubbed down all of the milk and food splatters (they were a-plenty...I scrubbed for 1 1/2 hours), took some pictures, wrote up an ad, and posted it on craigslist. Within an hour, I had a bite. Then another and another. The 4th bite, I think, was the high maintenance one. He asked for more pictures, so I took some more and updated the ad, emailed the new pics to my previous inquiries, and reposted the ad with the additional pictures. I got 3-4 more emails after reposting, too! It was such an exciting process, and I'm happy to say that the very first lady who contacted me was who ended up buying it. She came by last evening to see it and put down 50%--she'll come back with a truck and the balance sometime this weekend. Hooray!

I think I watched a Lifetime movie about someone who was murdered by someone she met on craigslist, so I've been a little apprehensive about posting anything on there. I'm so glad I did it, though! Emily and Joe had given me some tips because they've sold quite a few things on there, so I texted them to tell them a) I'd sold our table and b) I hadn't gotten murdered. :) I followed Young House Love's tutorial here and it worked fabulously for me. They even had a sample listing for a table and chairs they'd sold, so I borrowed quite a bit of phrasing from them.

Because of this, it looks like we'll be eating on the card table for the time being. I'm going up to IKEA one day, so I'll look there and see if anything catches my eye. I'll also keep an eye on craigslist and my usual thrift store/Goodwill stops. The previous owners of our house had a buffet/sideboard on one wall with a round table, and I think that's what I'm going to go towards. I'd love a place (other than the table) to put our laptop and Lewis' snacks, bibs, toothbrush, etc., and I think a sideboard would be nice for that (and would give us storage for tablecloths and such). 

Onto the squirrels...

Monday is (apparently) Squirrel Appreciation Day, so Creasey Mahan Nature Preserve near us had Flying Squirrel Day today to celebrate the occasion. They also dedicated a toddler play area which has been a work-in-progress since last spring when we first visited. When we got there this morning, Lewis went in the nature center and looked around at the exhibits, played with other kids, colored some squirrels, etc. Then they said it was time to get started and asked us to sit down (that will never happen) and listen to a presentation (that will never happen) and watch as they show us two actual live flying squirrels (that will never happen) and then sit through a six minute video about squirrels (that will never happen). Lewis was squirrely (hahaha--get it?) within the first 15 seconds of sitting down, so I tried to stand up and hold him. That lasted about two minutes, and then he was trying to escape from my arms. We snuck outside and decided to just take a hike instead. I'm sure the presentation was very nice, but there's no way we could have sat through all of that.

It was perfect hiking weather--in the 40s and sunny. It was pretty breezy out in the open fields, but it was nice in the woods. Here are our pictures:
 First, Lewis' breakfast.
We had just a little bit of OJ left, so I let him try it with a straw. He took some sips and then plopped in a few mandarin oranges from his bowl, followed by some cheerios. Yum-my!

Noooow, onto our hike:
 
Twins :)
 
Hello up there!
 
He went from walking pretty well independently to wanting to hold our hand to wanting to be carried. I think we walked about a mile, so he did pretty well! 

After our walk through the woods, we hit up the playground which is always a big hit: 
 
 

After we were done playing there (it was pretty breezy), we headed back to the car, across a few soccer fields and a baseball field. We put up Lew's hood for the walk back and giggled at how it made the sweatshirt look a bit too small on him. Must be that big noggin' of his, stretching it upwards. :) 
 Heehee.
:) Crop top!

So, Squirrel Day didn't quite go as planned, but we had a fun morning in the woods, getting some mud on our boots. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment