Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Goodwill Wins Again

For the past few weeks, I've been trying (and failing) to find the right childproofing locks for our kitchen cabinets and drawers. I bought some of the traditional ones that are supposed to catch when you open the door (and you push down on them to open the door/drawer all of the way). When I went to install them, I discovered that our cabinet doors and drawer fronts are designed so that there is a routed out section exactly where the one crucial piece needs to be placed, meaning I had nothing to screw into. I absolutely could not figure out how to align it otherwise.


I luckily started out with a bag of $2 pieces I'd bought at a consignment sale, so I returned the unusable pack of traditional ones to Target and went to look for a different design. I found that there were these fancypants magnetic locks that got really good reviews (you install a magnet inside and have a special magnetic key you place on the outside when you need to 'unlock' it), BUT (and a big but) they were $20 for a pack of 4 (at both Target and Amazon). I decided that was way, way too much to spend and that there had to be another way, so I found a pivoting, folding, and more advanced/more thought-out looking version of the traditional ones for $5 a pack and thought I'd give those a try. I'm not 100% sure they would have worked for us either, but it turns out I didn't need to find out!


I went to Goodwill yesterday and hit the childproofing motherload. Someone had donated three unopened packs of the magnetic locks ($20 a pack, so $60!!! worth of supplies), and GW had priced them at $2.25!!! a pack. I snatched them up and now have $60 worth of locks that will definitely fit our cabinets and drawers for only $6.75 (plus tax). :) Oh, happy day.




On a side note:
Speaking of Target, what is the deal with their carts? Why is the child seat so loosey goosey? It's awful! It reclines back too far, so if I strap Lewis in tightly, he can't hardly reach the handhold. (And I've tried not strapping him as tightly, too, and that is equally disastrous.) Because the seat is hinged so loosely, he tries to reach forward the whole time, or better yet, he is able to twist around and has even managed to stand up in the cart. I am constantly turning him around and saying "Sit, please." Nowhere else can he do that. 


They should have parents on their cart design panel. And take a cue from JoAnn's whose carts are the best I've found. Small, compact, and the child seat is sturdy and sits low. 

No comments:

Post a Comment