Thursday, December 15, 2011

Ten Months Old

Double digits, buddy!
Ten Months Old


His stats (from BabyCenter):
Height: 31 inches (above 95th percentile)
Weight: 25 pounds (between 75th and 90th percentile)
Head Size: 19.5 inches (above 95th percentile)


What he is doing this month:
  • Yelling, A LOT! I was eversoslightly concerned last month that he wasn't vocalizing much, but I think he's doing just fine now. He lets out these long and loud yells--kind of like a roaaarrrr. He has been throwing in gagas and even some dadas, but not necessarily a Dada directed right at Kevin quite yet. Or maybe he has. It's hard to tell (real vs. made-up on our part). :)
  • Kevin has been working with him on waving and high-fiveing, and Lewis seems to be catching on. He definitely knows the high five, and his wave is coming along.
  • That head of hair! It is awesome. I might give him a slight trim soon--when I rinse his hair, the back is pretty long. I love brushing it/parting it to the side after his bath--he looks so handsome and grown up. But then he sleeps on it and wakes up to it being WILD. I love it.
  • He has taken an occasional step, but nothing more. He is, however, walking very well with his walker (and he looks like the cutest little old man in doing so, too). He seems to be cruising with less and less support from the furniture, also.
  • He has been interested in doors this month. He likes to sit and swing a door back and forth from one hand to another. Or open the kitchen cabinet doors. Or try to climb into the fridge when we open its door. Or the dishwasher. He is a wild man.
  • He is learning to pull the chain on the ceiling fan/light to turn the light off and on. Kevin used to help him pull, but now Lew is doing it on his own. He will probably break it if we continue allowing him to do so every time we walk by it. :)
  • He has been afraid of the vacuum the past few months. It used to not bother him, but now he tries to crawl into the far corners of the room and gets pretty freaked out by it. I tried 'desensitizing' (not sure that is the right term) him by holding him and reassuring him while I vacuumed to show him that it is okay, but as soon as I returned him to the ground, he became upset again.
  • He is self-feeding pretty well now. Still trying to introduce a new food every 3 days (kind of slacking on that the past few weeks). We dropped one nursing, so now he nurses five times a day and has solids three times a day. We have had a pretty steady feeding routine the last few weeks of nursing at 7am (plus solids for breakfast), 9:30am (then nap), 12:30pm (plus solids for lunch), 3:30pm (then nap), solids for dinner at 5:30/6ish pm, and nurse at 7:30pm (bedtime). 
  • Along with his improved self-feeding and hand-to-mouth coordination has come an increase in sticking leaves, bits of magazine pages, dog hair, and other random things in his mouth. We do a lot of finger sweeps.
  • He is still sleeping well at night and at his first nap, but that second nap is a pest. I've tried tweaking it every way I know how, and he still only sleeps for 30 minutes. There were two glorious days in a row where he slept for OVER an hour, and I thought I'd found the magical formula, but then he reverted back to the 30 minute crap. He wakes up cranky (and no wonder!), so I guess we'll just deal with it.
  • I think his favorite part of the day is when Kevin comes home and takes him to the basement to play. I usually stay upstairs (and overhear Lewis' laughs), but the other day I went down and watched them. They were playing 'chase' around the couch, and Lewis was sneaking around the corners, looking for Kevin. He was so interactive! After they were through, he went off crawling through his toys, weaving in and out of them with such a purpose. He is getting to be so big and strong, and he loves (and I love) that he has a Dada/Papa who will play with him.
  • Current Tooth Count: still 6.
So that is Lewis at 10 months! He had some really great smiles this morning, but he kept closing his eyes because of the flash. For example:
 :)

4 comments:

  1. oh, he is so handsome and grownup looking on his 10 month birthday! I love his smile!! He looks so long in these pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Thanks, Mom. He sure is a sweet little monkey. And 25 pounds!! I can't wait for him and J to get together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! Where has the time gone! J started being afraid of the vacuum rather suddenly too...still is. I just make Joe distract her now. You may have to shift vacuuming to evenings! Can't wait to see him a give him a squeeze!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just keep putting off the vacuuming--it needs it now, but I will wait and do it right before you come to visit next week!

    ReplyDelete